We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental

I am really nervous about renting a car in Germany. Most reviews are not favorable. Is ther any way to make this process less painful?

ocala,fl
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

My advise is to check out gemut.com. I have used them for the past 10 years and have had no trouble. Check out their site for lots of good info on rentals. jv

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

Do a search on this forum with the terms: car rental scam

One company will stand out for not dealing with them. Perhaps take the advice of other people who make sure that all damage is well documented before accepting the car. It's preferable that someone is there to make sure that you returned an undamaged car, so you might like to return it during normal business hours.

Remember that few people will mention their having an acceptable rental experience, it's expected. It's those who have bad experiences that will write about them, and for most people renting cars (with the exception of a few companies) their experience is favorable.

I always used my former employer's rental agreements with major car rental firms throughout the world. Besides good rates, this automatically completely covers any personal liability for the car at no cost, so I usually don't have to worry about checking the car with a microscope for possible former damage. Perhaps you are in a position for similar rentals?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,362 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

Personally I made no bad experiences when renting a car in Germany so far either.

But renting a car bears always some risks. If someone bumps with his/her shopping cart into your rental car and walks away, you'll have to pay for this. Unlike with your private car you have not the option "I can live with this dent".

1. Some reviewers think they don't have to pay if they have not caused the damage themselves. Or they simply did not notice such a damage during their rental.

While I want not exclude that some might indeed been asked to pay for a damage the car had already before they rented it - this is however impossible to judge for an outsider. It could have as well occurred during the car rental without their notice.

2. Germans love their cars. And are picky if it comes to damages. Many reviewers lament that the repairs of tiny dents or scratches are so expensive. When I touched when parking last time another car I decided that the damage on my car is minor so I won't need to get this fixed. But I (or better my insurance) had to pay nearly EUR 2000 to get the other car fixed "as new". The sums many reviewers lament on for repairs are totally normal - by German standards.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

I can also recommend the wholesaler Gemut. Their prices are competitive -- they deal with all the major companies -- and their customer service is superb. Once I was somehow double billed, and all it took was one email to them to get the problem straightened out.

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

Stay away from Auto Europe Car Rental.

The apparent good offers on the website are only part of a fake and misleading advertising policy.

I used the German based company Auto Europe to rent a car in Italy - Pisa because I found a good offer on their website. Reservation was done, they charged my card with the full price and the car was not actually available. I made a new booking and same ting happened. Money charged and no car actually available.

All the offers on their website are misleading. The cars don’t exist in real life at the price they promote online. They will call you afterwards to offer a car that is 3 times more expensive. However, they will charge the full amount on your card instantly and will keep the amount for days. Once they return, the amount is smaller (commission of around £10) because they will charge and not just block the money, even though you will not benefit from their service.

Customer service – unwilling to help and find a solution, rude, arrogant; simply don’t care and explain everything through ‘this is our policy’.

The worst holiday rental experience ever.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,680 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

well done. you have posted the same comment twice with different headings. see the other post for a response.

7. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 20:35
8. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:21