We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany to Russia, Need help!

Seattle...
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Germany to Russia, Need help!

My friend and I are going to Germany in October we have a total of 14 days. We would like to make it over to St. Petersburg and back while stopping in other countries in between. Any suggestion on what countries are a must? Should we rent a car or travel by train? Is 14 day enough ( not that any amount of time is enough:) We enjoy all most all things from beaches to hikes to museum and history. This will be our first time in Northern Europe and would like to make the most of the 14 days. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks in advance for taking the time!

UK
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany to Russia, Need help!

What German airport are you flying into? This will make a difference to your itinerary. And are you planning to spend time in Germany itself, or are you just using it as a starting point?

Have you looked into visa requirements for Russia? Most foreign nationals need a visa.

Driving is probably not going to be an option as most if not all rental companies have restrictions on taking rental cars to Eastern Europe (I'm saying "restrictions" because I am not sure of the current situation... it could well be a total ban for Russia)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,962 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany to Russia, Need help!

- by car

Don't think you'll find a rental car company allowing this.

- by train

You'll need at least also a transit visa for Belarus

- by ferry

finnlines.com/ferry-trips/routes_fares/luebe…

UK
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany to Russia, Need help!

"- by train

You'll need at least also a transit visa for Belarus"

Russia has a border with Estonia, and there are direct trains from Tallinn... but you need to get to Tallinn first, and I haven't yet checked if you can.

UK
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Germany to Russia, Need help!

Going via Tallinn won't work... but you can get to St Petersburg from Vilnius without going through Belarus, so that's probably the way to go. The direct train line from Warsaw to Vilnius doesn't go through Belarus either, but last time I looked there was only one train a day, and I believe there are two changes these days, on the Polish-Lithuanian border and again in Kaunas (there was a direct train from the border to Vilnius when I did the trip in 2009, but I understand that has changed)

So... you could do Berlin-Warsaw, Warsaw-Vilnius, Vilnius-St Petersburg.

Seattle...
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Germany to Russia, Need help!

We haven't picked an airport in Germany yet. I am sure that will determine what route we take. Thanks for all the information. if you have anything more please share, its very helpful:)

6. Re: Germany to Russia, Need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 05:17