We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Visa

Pune
2 posts
Save Topic
Transit Visa

Hi, I have a question about the Visa requirements for my journey to USA.I have 2 stopovers, first in Munich (11 hours) and second in Amsterdam (15 hours) (Both come under Schengen Countries). I have a valid USA F-1 Visa (Student Visa). I don't intend to leave the airport during the stopovers. Could you please tell me whether I would need a airport transit Visa? If yes, which consulate should I apply to?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit Visa

<I have 2 stopovers ... second in Amsterdam ... I have a valid USA F-1 Visa (Student Visa). I don't intend to leave the airport during the stopovers. Could you please tell me whether I would need a airport transit Visa?>

You do not need an airport transit visa for Amsterdam if you are an Indian national. Airport transit visas are needed there by nationals of some countries: see the 2 lists (starting: Afghanistan ... and Angola ... ) on this website government.nl/issues/visa-for-the-netherland… .

In any case, nationals of countries that do normally need an airport transit visa for the Netherlands are exempt if they have a valid visa for the United States (above website, section "Airport transit visas, 3rd bullet point).

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit Visa

<I have 2 stopovers, first in Munich ... I have a valid USA F-1 Visa (Student Visa). I don't intend to leave the airport during the stopovers. Could you please tell me whether I would need a airport transit Visa?>

German Foreign Office website says that Indian nationals do, in principle, require an airport transit visa for Germany, but that someone holding a visa issued by the United States is exempt auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/… .

However, it seems the situation may be more complicated if you have 2 Schengen Area stopovers www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/in/local… .

I think you should check with the airline you are flying with.

Pune
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit Visa

Thanks for your help Colin!!

My problem is that I will be traveling from Munich to Amsterdam and both come under the Schengen area. Also, my stopover at Amsterdam is overnight and more than 12 hours (although I don't plan to leave the airport). This is why I thought a transit VISA might be required.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit Visa

<Also, my stopover at Amsterdam is overnight and more than 12 hours (although I don't plan to leave the airport). This is why I thought a transit VISA might be required.>

An "airport transit visa" covers the situation where you stay within the "international (transit) area" of an airport, i.e. because you have to change planes there. If you want to leave the international transit area of either airport, you will need a full Schengen visa. The length of time you stay in the transit area isn't relevant.

As you would not need an airport transit visa to pass through either Amsterdam or Munich individually (because of your US visa), I *suspect* that you probably don't need one for your trip passing through both Amsterdam and Munich together.

However, I would advise you to contact the airline you are flying with and ask them.

You could also ask the German Consulate in Mumbai. Contact details are on their website …diplo.de/Vertretung/indien/en/05__Mumbai/Vi…

Edited: 14 July 2013, 12:24
5. Re: Transit Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16