We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

autobahn

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
autobahn

hi,

we are going to drive to lake konstanz this saturday and i wondered if there is still no speedlimit on germany's autobahns.

we are also planning to do some cycling interspersed with periods of pure idleness and much needed relaxation.

any tips and advice greatly appreciated.

all the best

angela

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: autobahn

There are speed limits of 100, 120 and 130. On some parts you don't have speed limits but it is not recommended to drive faster than 130 km/h. If you have an accident at an higher speed your insurance company is not obliged to cover all damage.

UK
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: autobahn

There is no speed limit unless otherwise indicated (and lots of stretches of Autobahn now fall into the "otherwise indicated" category).

There is a "recommended maximum speed" of 130 kph. You're not breaking any laws if you exceed this, but if you have an accident this will in some circumstances affect the insurance situation.

I don't have any specific recommendations for Lake Constance, I'm afraid! (Lovely part of the country)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: autobahn

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Speed_limits

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: autobahn

many thanks for the info,

whereas in my younger years i would have loved that,

now im old and sensible i tend to drive not much faster than 70-75 mph, (about 110-120 kmph)

it also helps with the old petrol consumption, i find.

:)

angela

Edited: 16 July 2013, 12:00
canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: autobahn

A quick update with regard to our trip. We drove into calais in the end. Found an ATM and a bakers right next door. The croissants were huge crumbly and straight out the oven, never tasted like that in the uk no grease whatsoever. The perfect start to our holiday.

One thing I noticed once you leave Belgium the driving gets noticeably faster and a lot pushier. My resolution to drive driven around 70mph went out the window fairly swiftly. You have two choices fast or slow. Mostly it's 2 lanes and I ended up driving around 80mph.

Just a note of interest , plenty of drivers go way above the advised 130kmph speed, however no one flashed their lights anymore, like they used to when they wanted to pass. So things have changed a bit at least.

Hope that helps anyone else out there who is planning a trip.

Best wishes

Angela

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: autobahn

I just returned home from Bruges yesterday and experienced the same: as soon als you leave Belgium behind traffic becomes faster and pushier. Driving in Belgium was very relaxing although I experience pushy German Autobahns every day.

Just on a side note, as I had a lot of fun with an obnoxious driver, who insisted on 100 km/h on the middle lane although the autobahn was almost empty and there was no speed limit:

The far right lane is NOT reserved for lorries, you are oblieged to drive there as long as you are not considerably faster than the cars driving on that lane.

PS Flashlights are considered coercion (is that the right word?)

Edited: 21 July 2013, 22:15
Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
7. Re: autobahn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:18