We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage restrictions on trains?

new york
Level Contributor
305 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage restrictions on trains?

Planning a multi city tour of Germany/Austria.

Is there a size limit on luggage?

Where is luggage stored?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage restrictions on trains?

luggage is stored either in overhead racks (sometimes not all that big/high), at the end of the carriage or at your feet or sometimes between back to back seats

the best restriction is one you make yourself - dragging a huge bag down the aisle looking for your seat/a spare seat is not fun - the more compact your luggage is, the easier it will be to navigate the aisles. Regional trains never sell out so people sitting on their bags in the aisles is a common sight on busy routes/times

new york
Level Contributor
305 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage restrictions on trains?

Thanks,

If we limit our luggage, are laundromats commonly found in cities like Baden-Baden, Salzburg, Munich?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage restrictions on trains?

Hi,

Yes, Laundromats are found in major cities, but if by "commonly found" you mean one every kilometer, then no. You may have to do a bit of asking around to find one, just as you would have to do in L.A., San Francisco, or Chicago.

A few may have attendants where you can leave your laundry, they'll wash it, and you come back a couple of hours later to pick it up. (That was the case for me in Switzerland, but not in Paris.)

The idea of taking 2 -3 hours in the middle of an expensive vacation isn't for everyone. But I use that time to write my postcards, read up on my next destinations, and just interact with some of the locals. It's a nice pause in the rush to see as much as you can while you're in Europe.

Doing laundry once or twice will be much less of a frustration than toting multiple large bags through airports, train stations, and subways for 10 or 14 days (or however long your vacation is).

Here's a site that that may help you pack light:

http://www.onebag.com/

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage restrictions on trains?

I agree - packing for a week and going laundry as needed is the way we go if you want to keep your luggage small. Sometimes we send laundry out, sometimes we take it to a fluff and fold place, sometimes we do our own laundry at the Laundromat. It just depends on the situation, costs involved, etc. In Germany, we generally do our own - full service can be pricey.

When we do our own, we use the time to plan what we want to do later, reflect on what we have seen and done, read the guidebook, read a regular book, take a "time out" from touring around, etc.

new york
Level Contributor
305 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage restrictions on trains?

What size luggage can anyone recommend for 2 weeks German travel by rail. We will visit 6 cities approximately every 2 days.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage restrictions on trains?

The smallest size you can live with that will fit the things you want to take.

You don't need a new outfit every day, you're on the move and nobody will know that you wore that sweater, pants before when you arrive in a new location.

I take underware for the time I'm gone, that doesn't take much space, shirts and pants I let air out or hand wash in the sink if they are sweaty.

Don't know when you're coming, but if it's during fall, winter, bring layers, t-shirt, light sweater, fleece and a rain proof jacket, the heavy things I put on during the flight so they don't need to be in the suitcase and I always find space in the over head bin for those during the flight, also heavy shoes I wear and take off during the flight, so only the lighter onces have to be packed.

Pack things you might need at your destination on top, like once I had to get my shoes, jacket out of the suitcase on return to Germany and put all that on in the train, I didn't expect it to be that cold any more upon returning from my vaccation.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage restrictions on trains?

This is the size bag that I take pretty much everywhere that I go for more than a week:

travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm…

Mine doesn't have the back straps, but otherwise it is basically the same bag. I've had it for about 5 years and it is still going strong. I'm less than 5' tall and have never had an issue getting it on and off of trains. This size is easy to handle.

8. Re: Luggage restrictions on trains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:21