We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

Ottawa
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

Hello!

Looking for some reccomendations on how to spend 7 days in Amsterdam/Germany. I'm arriving in Amsterdam and plan on spending 2 days there before heading to Germany. My departure city in Germany is Munich, which I think I'd like to spend 2 days in.

This would leave me with 3 days for stops along the way to Munich.

If anyone has any suggestions for great places to visit along the way from Amsterdam to Munich, that would be great. I have been to Koln before, so no need to stop again this time.

Thanks very much!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,941 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

Perhaps a look at the Rhine, take a local train down the east bank. Then either stay in one of the small towns there or in Mainz.

I think two days is not enough to see Amsterdam

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

Yes, the Middle Rhine Valley is on the way to Munich and a good choice. Boppard, St. Goar, Oberwesel or Bacharach are good villages to settle - pick one and visit the others, all on the same side of the river. Check out Marksburg Castle in Braubach as well.

Villages: www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php… (Koblenz is a city you can skip.)

Castles: www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

Guide to the Middle Rhine: flyhahn.com/regions/romantic-rhine-holiday-r…

Mainz is a city you might want to visit on your way toward Munich - stow bags in a locker and see what interests you. Alternatively, make a stop in Würzburg on the way to Munich - the Residenz palace there is an eye-popper.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

Thanks for the replies.

Here is how I'm thinking of spending the time, can you let me know if this is realistic?

Train from Amsterdam to Koblenz, get on a boat and cruise the Rhine for the day. I'd like to end the day in Mainz and spend the night there.

Is there anywhere to rent a car in Mainz? I'm thinking of doing this then heading to Munich with stops in Wurzburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,941 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

Mainz is a fairly large city so you will find all the major rental companies there, pick up at other than the main station(hauptbahnhof) will be 20% cheaper

Ottawa
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

Great! Thanks for the info on the rental.

So would beginning a trip on the Rhine in Koblenz, with a stop in St. Goar, and staying the night in Mainz be realistic? Or should I start somewhere closer to St. Goar?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

"Train from Amsterdam to Koblenz, get on a boat and cruise the Rhine for the day. I'd like to end the day in Mainz and spend the night there."

There are specific logistic problems with this plan, but mostly, it's not a good use of your time, IMO, as your boat plan requires a minimum of 8.5 hours and includes some segments that are not scenic at all.

I would suggest instead that you catch a high speed train to Koblenz and switch there for a local train to visit St. Goar (you want to visit Rheinfels, right? That's the main reason for choosing St. Goar) and at least one more village (Boppard, Oberwesel, or Bacharach.) Leave your bags with the St. Goar TI office (no lockers in any of the Rhine villages, unfortunately.) If you want to do a nice cruise of the best part and get in some good sightseeing in a reasonable amount of time, catch a train in the afternoon from wherever you are to Bingen - then cruise north to St. Goar. This takes just under 1.5 hours. There are boats at 2:30 and 4:30 pm from Bingen. Make sure you get back to the TI before they close to fetch your bags, then overnight either in St. Goar or another village, or proceed to Mainz for the night. Mainz will have a lot more going on in the evening.

TI hours: http://www.st-goar.de/64-1-.html

Edited: 18 July 2013, 17:53
7. Re: 5 Days in Germany, coming from Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:19