We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Berlin,Prague,Vienna,Salzburg,Munich Help Please!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Berlin,Prague,Vienna,Salzburg,Munich Help Please!

My husband and I are going to Europe in September, and we have 17 full days / 17 nights.

Here is our tentative itinerary:

Arrive in Frankfurt, then train to Berlin (arrive late afternoon)

Berlin (2 full days / 3 nights), then morning train to Prague

Prague (2 nights), then morning train to Vienna

Vienna (3 nights), then morning train to Salzburg

Salzburg (1 night), then train to Munich

Munich / Oktoberfest (3 nights)

From Munich we will be driving up through to get back to Frankfurt hitting Fussen, Lindau, Freiburg, Baden (4 nights).

Here are my questions:

Is this itinerary feasible, and is it too rushed? Is 2-3 nights in these places adequate?

Is it worth it to go to Salzburg for 1 night (likely arriving in the morning and departing around lunch)? Should we devote 2 days there if we are making the stop in Salzburg on our way from Vienna to Munich?

If we had to give up anything on this itinerary, would Prague be the best one to eliminate (as much as I would hate to!)? I am stuck between wanting to see as much as possible but realizing that we could just end up rushing around for 2.5 weeks due to too much travel.

Next the trains. Do we need to reserve our seat on the train from the Frankfurt airport into Berlin, or can we get a ticket upon arrival in Frankfurt? I'm concerned about a flight delay and missing a train, but also am not sure if they sell out in advance.

Next, I'm not sure if the Eurail is the best option or the bahn.de website. It seems like the bahn.de website shows trains from Berlin to Prague, Prague to Vienna, Vienna to Salzburg, and Salzburg to Munich. I'm having trouble figuring out the Eurail site and if it makes sense for us to get a 3 country pass etc. or just buy each way separate on bahn.de.

Any tips and suggestions about the itinerary is much appreciated - hotel / restaurant recommendations welcome also!

Thank you in advance!

Amanda

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Berlin,Prague,Vienna,Salzburg,Munich Help Please!

I would definitely dedicate 2 nights to Salzburg and cut short on the last leg of your trip. Lindau is nice but not exactly a "must see". You have so many highlights on the first part of the trip, that you probably won't appreciate the last part.

No way you can miss out on Prague!

Train tickets don't sell out, but if you book in advance you can get better prices. However, you are then bound to use those specific trains and can't make any last minute changes to your route.

PS Taking in mind that you are going to Berlin after a transatlantic flight, I would book seats.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 22:09
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Berlin,Prague,Vienna,Salzburg,Munich Help Please!

Thanks!

It seems we are looking at cutting out either Salzburg or Prague. We are committed to Vienna and Munich for sure, and we musts fly in and out of Frankfurt. We do already have our hotel booked for Munich for Oktoberfest.

We are now thinking also that the Salzburg OR Prague would make the most sense before Vienna.

Here is the new possible itinerary:

Arrive in Frankfurt, then train to Berlin (arrive late afternoon)

Berlin (3 days / 3 nights), then evening train to Prague OR Salzburg

Prague OR Salzburg (3 nights / 2 full days), then morning train to Vienna

Vienna (3 nights / 3 days), then morning train to Munich

Munich / Oktoberfest (3 nights)

From Munich we will be driving up through to get back to Frankfurt hitting Fussen, Lindau, Freiburg, Baden (4 nights).

I also have posted a thread on Prague vs. Salzburg:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190410-i146-k6742…

Any thoughts on this updated itinerary?

Thanks again!

Amanda

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Berlin,Prague,Vienna,Salzburg,Munich Help Please!

Hi,

If you do Berlin-Salzburg-Vienna-Munich, you'll be going over the same ground twice (or nearly so) as you go from Salzburg to Vienna and then back to Munich.

I'd probably stick with Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Munich.

Keep in mind, too, that Salzburg is only 2 hours away from Munich and you may want to make that a day trip from Munich one day (to take a break from the Oktoberfest hoards). You can buy a Bayern Ticket at the station for 22 € for the first person and 4 € for the second person, and its good for the trains, trams, subways, and buses in Bavaria for a day. It will get you to Salzburg, but won't be valid on Salzburg's mass transit system.

The only stipulation with the Bayern Ticket is that you must use regional trains and, on weekdays, you can only use them after 9 AM (weekends you can use the ticket any time).

Remember that Eurail and Rail Europe are third party ticket resellers that charge a substantial markup if you purchase your rail tickets through them. While it may be more time consuming to go to bahn.de or oebb.at to book tickets, you'll save quite a bit doing so (could be several hundred dollars difference).

Note that if you do buy on bahn.de, there are two types of fares, "Savings Fares" and "Standard Fares." If you purchase a Savings Fare ticket, you MUST ride the specific train(s) that you booked. if you miss them, you'll be buying full-fare replacement tickets.

Standard Fare tickets allow you flexibility to travel on any train that day.

You may want to check out these sites for general info about train travel in Europe and Germany:

http://www.seat61.com/

www.gettingaroundgermany.info/bahn.shtml

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

The national railroad websites:

Germany - http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Czech Republic - http://www.cd.cz/en/

Austria - http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

There's also a private railroad company called Westbahn that has trains between Vienna and Salzburg and competes with ÖBB.

https://westbahn.at/en/

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Berlin,Prague,Vienna,Salzburg,Munich Help Please!

Thank you Zed!

That was very helpful, I really have been struggling trying to understand all of the transportation websites! That is a great idea about maybe just doing a daytrip from Munich to Salzburg.

Thanks again!

5. Re: Itinerary Berlin,Prague,Vienna,Salzburg,Munich Help Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 06:18