We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin or Dresden

Malaysia
Level Contributor
420 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin or Dresden

Hi.

I intend to visit one of the cities above in mid-October.

Which would you recommend if I have about 3 days ?

I do understand that Berlin has many more sights since it is the capital of Germany, but which is more a beautiful city ?

(I have been to Munich a few years ago)

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin or Dresden

Berlin!

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin or Dresden

The more beautiful city is Dresden. Not the centre, which is a combination of a very small reconstructed old town surrounded by mostly ugly postwar buildings, but the suburbs and surroundings. Close to the Blue Wonder bridge are wonderful residential quarters, the city is beautifully situated in the Elbe valley, vineyards and wine villages aren't far away, the valley is covered with palaces and manors, the biggest paddle steamer fleet in the world brings you to some of the most picturesque mountains in Europe, several perfectly preserved romantic towns can be visited from Dresden etc...

Edited: 17 August 2013, 08:26
Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Blue Wonder Bridge
Blue Wonder Bridge
341 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Europe
Europe
World
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin or Dresden

I think I agree with Martin, Dresden probably is more beautiful as a whole than Berlin. I liked Dresden-Neustadt (just across the river from the Altstadt)

Berlin has some beautiful parts, huge range of museums, and so much going etc but people don't use beautiful so often about it. Dynamic, fascinating, gritty.....

Also 3 days is not all that long, "doing "Berlin in 3 days would be very rushed.

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Neustadt
Neustadt
448 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Altstadt
Altstadt
1,224 Reviews
Nuremberg, Germany
4. Re: Berlin or Dresden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:20