We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okay to ask for restaurant meals to go, take-out, take-away?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Okay to ask for restaurant meals to go, take-out, take-away?

We will be spending a couple weeks in Germany in various cities and staying in self-catering apartments. Sometimes we prefer to order meals "to go" from a nearby restaurant, pick them up & pay, and take our food back to our place.

Is this less common in Germany than it is in the U.S.? I'm talking about restaurants that are usually sit-down with waiters. How do I call and ask a restaurant if they offer take-out? I don't speak German...

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,078 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okay to ask for restaurant meals to go, take-out, take-away?

The places we eat at in Berlin where you could also order to take out (or ask for a doggie bag) are Indian and Italian and I have seen flyers for Vietnamese and Thai too (maybe those are purely take-aways). In the UK it would be Indian, Chinese and Italian where it is most commonly done.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Okay to ask for restaurant meals to go, take-out, take-away?

Unless you find anything about "Alle Gerichte auch zum Mitnehmen" (all dishes also to take away) on the menu, this is not common and likely to be refused, especially in traditional German restaurants. In places with "foreign" cuisine (Italian, Greek, Chinese etc.) your chances might be better.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okay to ask for restaurant meals to go, take-out, take-away?

At lunchtime there are always a lot of places on the street set up for take away food, Perhaps plan ahead and get your dinner at lunchtime and put it in the refrigerator for later.

UK
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okay to ask for restaurant meals to go, take-out, take-away?

You can have meals delivered to your apartment - the terms to google for are "essen lieferdienst berlin" or "essen lieferservice berlin". Ordering by phone may be a bit of a problem if you don't speak German, but some of the places I've just found offer online ordering, and there was even mention of an app somewhere.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okay to ask for restaurant meals to go, take-out, take-away?

This is a delivery service put in your post code, 5 numbers ie 10787. lieferservice.de/en/…

6. Re: Okay to ask for restaurant meals to go, take-out, take-away?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22