We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpackers hostels for older people

Mirboo North
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Backpackers hostels for older people

HI, Next year I'll be travelling alone around the central and southern parts of Germany, then on to Prague. I'll be 68. Am on a budget and wondering if I'll be out of place in a backpacker's hostel? Are they very noisy? Or can someone recommend another option for me?

Will probably base myself in Stuttgart and travel around from there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

Have a look at this site

http://www.jugendherberge.de/en/

It's called "youth" hostel but all ages are welcome.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

Quiltneedle has provided the official German Hostel Association (DJH) site - there are more than 500 such hostels in Germany, in large cities and remote villages, and they generally welcome all ages. They can be good places to stay and often have private rooms but are sometimes overrun by pre-teen kids on week-long school outings with their classmates (this is a primary source of revenue for DJH.) Such groups can be incredibly rowdy, IME, and even a private room is no shield against the non-stop noise when they're back from their daily outing. Also, once you add on supplements for a single room and non-members ("Welcome stamps",) your nightly fee isn't cheap.

"Backpacker hostels" typically refers to private hostels - which sometimes do have age limits. Check with the individual hostels themselves if interested. Accommodations and prices vary widely. You will find them mostly in larger cities.

Hostels might be your best option in major cities. In smaller towns, private B&B's and small apartments are a cheap option and offer you a quieter, better cultural experience, IMO, than a hostel. If you peruse town websites, you'll find B&Bs at reasonable prices. Some of these sites are in English, some not. Schiltach ( Schwarzwald, Black Forest) is just one of thousands of small places you might end up - but as you can see, it has a healthy list of places to stay:

http://www.schiltach.de/223

Pension Franz offers a single room with breakfast for 24€; like many places, you pay more for 1-2-3 nights, less for longer stays:

www.schiltach.de/1101…

Another good source for similar inexpensive lodging is Bavaria Ben's site:

www.bensbauernhof.com/accommodations.html

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

46judy wants to base herself in Stuttgart which is hardly a place for weeklong school outings. You are more likely to encounter these in the countryside.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

Quiltneedle: 46judy has a much broader area of travel in mind than is feasible from Stuttgart alone if she plans to "travel alone around the central and southern parts of Germany." She will need to stay in other places as well.

By the way, the countryside AND major cities as well are targets for school outings. Stuttgart hostels actively recruit school groups. Check out their programs:

jugendherberge.de/de-DE/Global/SearchResults…

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

I agree with Russ that &B / private rooms are as good a deal cost-wise as hostels. Most hostels i have checked out online recently have been 20-25 euro - about the same price as I have paid for a B&B

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

You really have two choices in Stuttgart for a hostel based on your age and circumstances, the already mentioned Jugendherberge and the even more centrally located Alex 30 Hostel ( http://www.alex30-hostel.de/en/ ) which is a private one that I used to live across the street from. It's possible that the nearby Espenlaub Hotel (among other ways Stuttgart accommodations are bookable through the tourist office- www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) is about the same price or cheaper. Accommodations anywhere in Germany can usually be found by going to www.PLACENAME.de, then possibly Tourismus, then there will be another heading of some sort for accommodations usually including all of the options from camping places to luxury hotels.

Using Stuttgart as a base, #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 will list a number of my favorite places to visit, but the list is nowhere near comprehensive. bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/deutschland_erl… is a map of the railway system of the German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg where a day Baden-Wuerttemberg day train ticket is valid for 22€ for the first passenger and 4€ for each additional one up to a grand total of 5. Note that you can visit places with this ticket outside of Baden-Wuerttemberg such as Schaffhausen and Basel, Switzerland; Kehl just across the Rhine River from Strasbourg, France; and Würzburg and Nördlingen of the Romantic Road. More centrally located about Stuttgart is a similar ticket the Metropolticket which is slightly cheaper, and for the Stuttgart metropolitan area a local VVS ( www.vvs.de ) transportation ticket can be used which costs even less.

Mirboo North
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Seems as though the B7B option might be best for me. I might try a couple of hostels, just for the experience.

I've never used a forum before, so hope this reply is read by all who helped.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

B&Bs: Breakfast of some kind is almost a given in hotels and in most accommodations throughout Germany. Vacation apartments (Ferienwohnungen) are common wherever Germans vacation and typically offer no breakast but normally have cooking equipment - and they can be very reasonable options. This May I spent a few days in northern Bavaria at a privately-operated studio apartment on the upstairs floor of a very large home. Very small, very small price as well at 18€/night. It was a little like those IKEA minimal space rooms - quite amazing the lengths that owners will go to get nearly everything you might need into a small space. The photos on the following page show the mini-kitchen and mini-bathrooom; these owners offer breakfast as an option as well.

http://haag-nea.npage.de/privatzimmer.html

The least expensive B&B options go by several names but do not include the word "hotel" - Pension, Privatzimmer, "Zimmer frei" (a German phrase often seen on window signs at private B&Bs meaning "room available", now a term used by English speakers to mean "B&B.")

You will find very, very few such places at the typical hotel booking sites. There are some well-known commercial websites for B&Bs - airbnb.com, karenbrown.com, but the most complete collection of options will be found at local TI office websites. Often these sites have an English language option. Try www.(town name).de - you'll probably get the town's website in German - but then look for "Tourist information", "Tourismus", or a Union Jack flag somewhere, and see what's available.

Example: for Boppard, I just tried www.boppard.de - then clicked on Tourist Information, and ended up here:

http://www.boppard-tourismus.de/

Click on the Brit flag at the above page, and every place in town will be at your fingertips.

Another good option to get a feel for what's available in the area that interests you is Bavaria Ben's website, which includes photos and reviews offered by independent travelers.

www.bensbauernhof.com/accommodations.html

Mirboo North
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

Great advice and very useful information. Thank you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Backpackers hostels for older people

My 80 year old aunt, and late 70 's parents will be staying in a hostel this weekend ( eastern Germany), they have been before and it is a beautifully renovated old building, not at all like hostels in Australia. They like the young vibe, but you can't predict how much sleep you might get... :)

The pensions and Zimmer Frei options are really excellent, but only viable when we travelled by car and happened upon them. Otherwise, when travelling by train, I generally booked rooms in advance, looking for B n B options or budget hotels.

I stayed with a friend in Stuttgart a few years ago, lovely city, great local transport and nearby options for day trips.

Enjoy. It is a very safe and friendly region for travellers.