We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

We are planning to visit scenic spots of these 3 countries, starting from and returning to Frankfurt, thus making a loop. Would appreciate suggestions/advice. Also, we can only do this in November.

Any problem? We have done driving trips in USA (Nov/Dec) and France and a bit of Italy.

Love seeing mountains and castles!

Thank you.

Yokimi

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,098 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

it would be very difficult for anyone to say where you should go or do. every country has its attractions. suggest you plan a basic itinerary, and then maybe others could advise you of attractions on your route.

singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

Thanks Nakagoli. We've decided to skip Switzerland (been there 10 years ago).

My rough plan :

Arrive at Frankfurt and collect car. Drive down south to Heidelberg, then Lake Constance.

Eastward to Salzburg, Vienna. Then cross over to Prague and back to Frankfurt (hopefully can see the Erzgebirge mountains along the way back)

Would appreciate any suggestion of scenic places to stop in between, from anyone.

We have 16 days. Any problem driving these places in November?

Thank you very much

Yokimi

Edited: 14 September 2013, 17:49
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,098 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

I will think about this, but in the meantime I want to give you some warnings. first of all, hiring a car in Germany, you probably will not be allowed to take it into Czech republic. this area is normally excluded from car hire deals. secondly, you could well hit snow, particularly in the higher areas that you could visit. car will have to have snow tyres fitted (probably included in your hire) and you really need to know how to drive in those sort of conditions!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

Look at #1 of what I wrote in tripadvisor.com/…49932873 , which has the attractions along a drive from Heidelberg south along the Neckar River which will take you close to Lake Constance. A nice alternative drive is what I described in tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187276-i703-k4853… . Note that parts of Germany and particularly Lake Constance can be foggy at this time of year.

singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

Thanks so much Nakagoli and Marcopolko for your useful information. We'll leave Prague for another time. Will spend more time in Germany.

singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

Hi friends,

We can only have our driving tour during first two weeks of November. After all consideration, we still would like to visit Germany and Austria. Would appreciate recommendations on scenic routes that are not so badly affected by snow or fog. Same goes for Austria too. Would driving to Salzburg and Vienna pose any problem?

Thank you very much.

singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

Marcopolko, I agree with Ccraville that you have given the greatest response post (Re: Stuttgart as base).

I've followed and viewed the places you mentioned. Great! esp Black Forest. But just a bit concerned over the weather condition there in November. Any advice?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,098 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

any person who could forecast the weather two months in advance, would be a rich person! you could get glorious sunny weather, you could get heavy snow, or something in between! don't forget, it will be the start of winter.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

The weather in SW Germany is not as bad as further north as it will have less rain. But some rain is likely, which at higher elevations in places such as the Black Forest could be snow. The weather is hard to predict a week away, but most likely will be between -5 and +10C, with probably at least a little rain. Last year there was a bad snow storm in both October and November.

San Jose, California
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Three weeks driving tour around Germany/Switzerland/Austria

We just got back from a 10 day Gate 1 tour through Germany, Switzerland and Austria. The old saying "take the bus and leave the driving to us" made for a very fun packed scenic way to see this part of the world. We had a 53 passenger Mercedes Benz Coach with 43 very comfortable travelers. Our guide Noel was an expert guide that lives in the Austrian alps with great knowledge about all three countries. Our hotels were 4 star hotels in great locations where our luggage would be delivered to our room while we were on a guided tour of the town. He would pass out our room keys on the bus before we arrived at the hotel and we could go directly to our room without passing go. Nice buffet breakfast at each hotel got us off to a good start each day. We really enjoyed our no hassle fee Sept. trip with great weather and beautiful Green landscapes.

Larry