We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich Car Rental

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Munich Car Rental

I'm trying to determine what car rental agency to go with in Munich. Ideally best overall value/price but also close to Das Hotel

Türkenstr. 35, Maxvorstadt

München, 80799

Suggestions?

ocala,fl
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich Car Rental

I would suggest you go to gemut.com and read all the info available on auto rentals. Then get a quote. If you have questions call. I have rented from them for 10 years and have always been well taken care of. john

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich Car Rental

Last January I contacted Bob and Andy Bestor, owners of Gemut.com, about an upcoming trip to Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. I spoke to Bob who suggested, since I could cancel at any time, that I book early to take advantage of the low Jan-March prices for summer. He pointed out that I could always cancel. If rates went up (which they did) I would keep my low price. If they went down I could cancel and re-book at the new, lower rates. Though my itinerary started and ended in Zürich, Gemut.com recommended renting in Germany, where rental cars are much cheaper than in Switzerland. (I don't think you're going to get that kind of advice if you contact rental companies directly...and certainly not online.) So we took a short train ride from St. Gallen to Lindau, Germany. From there we toured Germany and Austria and then, at the end of the rental, dropped the car in Freiburg and took the train to Zürich airport. Once I left the U.S. I knew if I had a rental car problem I could get assistance 24/7 via their toll-free-from-Europe help line. Gemut.com's free car rental booklet; “What You Should Know About Renting a Car in Europe,” was also a great source of info. Bottom line: Gemut.com provides personal service and, since they specialize in European car rental, are just a lot more knowledgeable and professional than the scripted operators at the phone banks of the big rental companies. And, if you book online, where do you get your questions answered? I communicated several times by phone and email with Bob and he responded every time. If you call, you may have to leave a message but they always called me back...usually within an hour.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich Car Rental

gemut is the way to go.

Ashton, Idaho
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich Car Rental

I am thinking about renting a car in Munich and driving to Lienz Austria the end of June. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a possible car rental return site close to Lienz that would be in Germany. Also maybe the suggestion of a scenic route for Munich to Lienz for 1 day of travel.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich Car Rental

Just to make sure: You are talking about Lienz, a small town near the end of the Grossglocknerstrasse and close to the Italian border? You will have a couple of problems (1) the neareste rental care agency to Lienz is probably quite a distance away - - perhaps Kitzbuehel, Bad Bad Gastein or Zell am See. (2) Picking up a car in Munich (Germany) and dropping it off anywhere in Austria will incur a substantial cross-border drop-off charge. You can avoid it by dorpping the car off anywhere in Germany/. Evem if your destination is not Lienz but Linz, that problem will be the same.

You may want to do the same thing that ex7474piltot did; talk the matter over with the folks at Gemut.. I always rent my cars for Germany through them.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 03:16
Ashton, Idaho
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich Car Rental

Yes I am traveling to Lienz Austria and was trying to avoid the surcharge for return in a different country. I will likely take train and try to rent in Kitzbuehel using Gemut. Thanks for the info.

7. Re: Munich Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:15