We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tour of Germany

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Train Tour of Germany

Hi -

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Germany (up to 14 days, flights not booked yet) for next October/November (what can I say, I am a planner). Is the following reasonable with a rail pass? # of days per stop still to be determined, though preliminary thoughts are listed below.

Arrive in Frankfurt - 2 days in Frankfurt (possible 3, depending on when we land)

Frankfurt to Cologne - 1 day in Cologne

Cologne to Berlin - 3 to 4 days in Berlin

Berlin to Dresden - 1 day in Dresden

Dresden to Prague - 1 to 2 days in Prague (I've been before)

Prague to Nuremberg - 1 day in Nuremberg

Nuremberg to Munich - 4 days in Munich (this is a bucket list item)

If this is a ridiculous itinerary please let me know. My goals are to see Berlin and Munich, and to avoid renting a car. Any advice is appreciated!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Tour of Germany

Looks pretty good. It will be a full itinerary, but looks ok. Check out the cost of point-to-point tickets versus a rail pass to see which is more economical. Www.dbahn.de is the German rail network site. You can save a lot by buying tickets in advence and getting saver fares.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,740 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Tour of Germany

We did a 5 week 'lap' of Germany over Dec/Jan - all without a car. All my research led me to buying point-to-point train tickets since I knew the exact dates of travel. I quickly discounted the eurail pass and in the end, the German rail pass. I spent less on advance purchase 'specials/saver' tickets for both of us than I would have on a eurail pass for one.

november-moon has given you the german train website - have a play round with it, change to english at the top (click on the flag) do some 'dummy' bookings for 92 days ahead (that's when the specials tickets become available - though you won't be able to get you actual tickets till past the 92 days because of when the new yearly timetable is issues) you will get a good idea of how much you can save. Make use of the 'lander' (state) tickets - use the search box directly above your post to find this info - masses already posted - look particularly for posts by train expert 'abalada'

we only had one full day in Nuremberg and it wasn't enough - can you sqeeze in another one there?

cheers

helen

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Tour of Germany

Germany is easy to tour by train. Study the German train website www.dbahn carefully. The "lander" tickets may work for you and can be a great value.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Tour of Germany

I am assuming you are posting your days sightseeing, and have at least 2 nights planned at each stopover, which actually means one full day of sightseeing plus the evening you arrive.

Otherwise, given the distance between the cities you wish to see and the time it takes to get there from your previous stop, finding the accommodations and checking in (usually not allowed before late afternoon in many hotels and inns, along then checkout in the morning; you will be on the go all the time.

Honestly, I have been to all these cities (except Dresden) at one time or another, and the time you have alotted is barely enough to begin to explore them, especially Berlin.

I travel in Europe almost exclusively by train. As posted already, www.bahn.com will be very useful, but with your tight itinerary, be careful with the Saver fares. Once you buy them, you are locked in for those exact dates. I often use a combination of Laender Tickets and a 3-day German Rail Pass OR point-to-point for long distance trips when I want the comfort of an ICE rather than regional trains.

However, since you are an advance planner (so am I--armchair travel beforehand is great fun, and really prepares you for your visit) all this is doable, but too busy an itinerary for my taste, given the great cities involved and their complex histories. I hope you will continue to post back as you refine your plans...

Have a great trip!

Happy travels, LM

Edited: 16 September 2013, 03:34
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Tour of Germany

Good points, I appreciate it! I wonder if it would make more sense for me to give up on my semi-obsession with cramming all of Germany into one trip, and focus on Munich and the closer surrounding areas for this trip, since this is the area I am most interested in. Would Munich - Prague - Nuremberg make the most sense then? Or possibly adding in Austria?

6. Re: Train Tour of Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:17