We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Munich and Salzburg

NYC
Level Contributor
39 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in Munich and Salzburg

Hi, I'm considering a trip to Munich and Salzburg and was wondering how many days would you recommend I plan for each city. Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

how long have you got. I would suggest a min of 3 days in each. but it all depends on what you want to see and do.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

we had 6 days in Munich & visited Salzburg as a day trip from there - not enough time in Munich - plenty we didn't get to see. Visited Dachau and Herrenchiemsee as daytrips - 3 days in Munich itself wasn't enough

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

ah yes, but in Salzburg there is so much to see that is not actually in the city!

NYC
Level Contributor
39 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

I'm only now starting to plan the trip and have the option of making it longer or shorter based on research and the advise I get from people who've been there and done it.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
170 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

Maybe if you use Munich as your hub, that will be easier.

From there its about a little bit more than one hour to Salzburg which needs one whole day (in my opinion enough).

If you want to consider to overnight on your way back to Munich, there is the spa town "Berchtesgaden" in Bavaria (25min from Salzburg). There is nice thermal Spas there if you are interested (e.g. Watzmann) and the St. Bartholomew's Church on lake Königssee. The whole area is in the Alps which are amazing to see as an escape from the cities. Overnight possibilities are the famous Gaststätte (small hostels that are family- run). That way you can also get in touch with the German Culture.

Spend at least 4 days in Munich. What you can see in Munich is:

- Marienplatz (or City Center): Frauenkirche, Rathaus, Shopping, Bavarian Food/Beer (in Restaurant Ayingers for example)

- Nymphenburg Schloss: wonderful castle with huge Garden you can enjoy walking through it.

- BMW Welt if you are into cars

- Englischer Garten (biggest garden within city limits in the world!)

- Schwabing district for nice bars and restaurants. You can catch it using the Leopoldstrasse (or Ludwigstrasse) which itself is very nice. Its my favorite district in Munich and I spend most of my time there.

- Dachau concentration camp: if you have never seen one before (if not then not worth it)

- Check out at the Tourist Office whether there will be any cultural events, really worth it

Ejoy Munich!!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

one hour from munich to Salzburg?? I wish!

and all Salzburg in one day?? there is a lot more in Salzburg and surrounds than one days worth.

and englisher garden the biggest garden within city limits in the world? I believe that phoenix park in Ireland is the biggest, not in the world, but in Europe.

of course there are attractions in munich and as you are from munich, you will promote these, but as an outsider who regularily visits both, I still believe that a minimum of 3 days in each is the best and more balanced option.

NYC
Level Contributor
39 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

Vernon-9 and Nakagoli, thank you very much for your thoughtful responses. This gives me a pretty good idea how to begin to work my schedule. There's nothing better than starting to plan the next vacation as soon as you get back from one.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

I live here so I can testify to the fact that there is a LOT to do and see - but it all depends on what your interests are. There are a ton of side trips possible from Munich. I wouldn't limit yourself to Salzburg per say - consider Innsbruck or Stuttgart or something also?! (stuttgart: museums, related to cars... if that's your thing)

I consider Salzburg small - I think you can see the highlights in one day - two or three if you want to stretch it out.

But its possible to spend a week in Munich and not get bored!

9. Re: How many days in Munich and Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:17