We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Germany

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Driving in Germany

My hubbie and I are planning on renting a car and driving from Munich through some of the German alps, stopping at Lake Constance and most likely Freiburg.

Does anyone have any great tips on renting and driving a car in Germany?

Anything we should avoid?

Anything we should see in Bayern that you can get to only by car?

Thanks!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,731 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Germany

There are many threads on here about renting cars, I suggest that you have a read. As you are in the US then you might look at renting with www.gemut.com

Freising, Germany
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Germany

There´re many locations you can reach by car away from the Autobahn, making the way your goal. It´s just a matter of the time. Making the way to Freiburg a journey of 3-4 days you could:

Starting at Munich first visit Monastary Andechs, passing Kochelsee/Walchensee to Mittenwald, going Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Partnachklamm). Then Linderhof by passing Monastary Ettal. Along Plansee and Reutte to Füssen (Neuschwanstein). Back to Reutte following the street to Weißenbach am Lech and into the alps to Sonthofen (nice scenery).

Detour to Oberstdorf (Breitachklamm, Walsertal), then back and passing Immenstadt to Lindau. Visit Friedrichshafen (Zeppelin Museum, Dornier Museum). Then Meersburg and crossing the lake by ferry to Konstanz. Go to Schaffhausen (Rheinfall). Follow the streets to Titisee, cross the Feldberg to Todtnau (big Waterfall). Then cross Schauinsland, maybe visit the mining museum (you can get dirty...) and after you cross the Schauinsland you´re in Freiburg.

That are just some of my personal favourites, there is so much to see...

3. Re: Driving in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:20