We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips germany, Switzerland

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Day trips germany, Switzerland

My daughter (23) and I are visiting Europe in April 2014. And would like to see the zugspitze mountains, hohenshwangau and possibly Black Forest area. Should we be based in munich or Switzerland and do day trips. Is there public transport to these places. No time restrictions

New York
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

Have you looked at exchange rates? A Starbucks coffee costs 3x more in Zurich than Munich. If money doesn 't matter, I can't help.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

You can do daytrips from Munich to H'schwangau and to Garmisch (Zugspitze) but who knows what the April weather will bring on such Alpine outings - probably enormous wetness. It would take about 5 hours round trip to H'schwangau and close to that for the Zugspitze, I imagine. Basing in Zürich would make no sense at all for these outings.

You cannot daytrip from Munich to the Black Forest. From Zürich it might be possible, depending on your BF destination. If you wanted to visit touristy Triberg, for example, it would be 2+ hours each way.

Garmisch, Füssen and the Black Forest towns are laden with inns and hotels. Why not stay where you want to visit?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

I echo Russ's sentiments exactly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

Better idea. Thank you. So you think there would not be a problem finding accommodation if we just turn up? Things look closer on maps !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

Sorry so could we train or bus to these locations

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

How long will your trip be?

A rail pass for the two of you may be more expensive than just renting an auto - I recommend driving, as you are not restricted to time tables.

If you want to go to the Zugspitze and Hohenshwangau, it is the opposite direction from the Black Forest.

My recommendation would be to split the trip - stay for part of it in either Oberammergau or Garmish Partenkirchen (The Zugspitze Hotel has reasonable rooms with balcony overlooking the Zugspitze, while Oberammergau is a fairytale village 20 minutes away from Garmish Partenkirchen). From there, a day trip to Hohenshwangau is a 1 hour drive, and a beautiful one at that.

Next part of the trip may be either somewhere along the Bodensee such as Stein am Rhein (another fairytale village); an easy day trip to the black forest & pretty ride as well - or just go & stay in that area & nix Switzerland (which by the way is my favorite country).

Best of luck & enjoy!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

I don't think that you'd have any problems with last minute accommodation unless it's Easter which will be a holiday with school's being out for two weeks and perhaps families vacationing.

Long distance travel by public transportation is almost exclusively by train, with buses then used to connect with smaller local nearby places. www.bahn.com will have this travel information. If you choose to drive, then www.viamichelin.com has good driving information including good estimated driving times. As part of a stay IN the black Forest your hotel will give you a free KONUS card that includes travel by buses and most trains in and near the Black Forest. Although there is easily more than enough to see and do using public transportation, I prefer driving as you can stop where and when you like, and all of the Black Forest is easily and quickly visitable instead of, on a practical basis, a small portion of it by public transportation.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

We have time to allocate to that part of our trip. Our problem is.

We are doing paris berlin and not sure from there wether to go to hohenshwangau and the rest from berlin. Or berlin to munich and maybe hire a car for a couple of days

As at the moment our plan was berlin Prague Budapest and fly out of Vienna

So thinking of a "detour"

But would like to do those areas of interest. It's our first time travelling to Europe so very excited / apprehensive. We are googling etc but advise from you guys who live there or have done it is great

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

Ah no, money does matter.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips germany, Switzerland

Hi,

In post #6, the author said:

"A rail pass for the two of you may be more expensive than just renting an auto - I recommend driving, as you are not restricted to time tables."

Just a quick word on rail passes. Do not buy them from RailEurope or Eurail, as both are ticket resellers and sell the passes as a substantial mark-up over what you can purchase on the Deutsche Bahn website. It will be less expensive to buy point-to-point tickets or regional passes from DB.

DB also offers its own rail passes if you think you'll be doing a lot of train travel. Check out their regional passes like the Bayern Ticket. The Bayern Ticket is a day pass that allows you to travel on most trains, subways, trams and buses in Bavaria on the day that it's valid (on weekdays, you'll have to take regional trains after 9 AM instead of express trains). It costs 22 € for the first person, and 4 € per person for four additional people (up to five people total). No reservations are needed and you can buy the ticket at the train stations.

Marcopolko already gave you the link to the DB website in his post above.

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

Edited: 23 September 2013, 17:16