We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip in Germany

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip in Germany

Planning to travel to Germany summer 2014. Fly in and out of Frankfurt. 7-8 days. Will rent a car and self-drive. We don't enjoy rail travel, as it's too confining.Two travelers, me and my husband. Want to first go to Lutherstadt Wittenberg and Erfurt, but not go into Berlin. Then back to Frankfurt and possibly do some day trips or overnight trips to the Black Forest area and a short Rhine River cruise. We will also avoid Munich. Many other things we would like to see but won't have time on this trip. Are we being too ambitious to try to squeeze all these things in?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip in Germany

You could not do a day trip to the Black Forrest from Erfurt they are way too far apart. Either allow a few days for the Black Forrest or visit forrests nearer to Erfurt area This might be an idea saechsische-schweiz.de/elbsandsteingebirge.h…

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip in Germany

Either concentrate on the Black Forest or Thuringia and/or Saxony. Otherwise distances are too far for 7 days only.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip in Germany

Remember to stay in the right lane but NEVER, EVER pass on the right. Don't go cruising along in the left lane. There may be a very little play in the speed limits but not 10 mph like in the US. You may know this. If so, sorry.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip in Germany

Looking at distances, it seems possible to go to Erfurt and Wittenberg from Frankfurt, spend maybe 2 nights in Erfurt, drive back to Frankfurt for a rest/city day. Then drive to Black Forest for a couple of days, over to Rhine River for a couple of days and back to Frankfurt. You don't think that's doable?

RobLaw47 -- Thanks for the driving tips. I appreciate any information you can/want to give me.

5. Re: Road trip in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 06:20