We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice for Oktoberfest 2014 from the experienced

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for advice for Oktoberfest 2014 from the experienced

I'm planning to attend Oktoberfest in 2014, but I cannot imagine myself spending the full 17-18 days I'll be going for strictly there, so I was wondering what the pros, cons, and personal recommendations would be for either flying in for the opening week of Oktoberfest then checking out other German sites, or flying in and checking out the sites first then attending the last week of Oktoberfest.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice for Oktoberfest 2014 from the experienced

Hi,

My first-ever trip to Europe in 2007 included a stop at Oktoberfest, and I only spent a day there before heading off into Bavaria, Austria, and Switzerland. I was content with only a day at Oktoberfest, and I would think that no more than two would suffice for most people who just want to check it off their "bucket list." But if you're really into drinking liters of beer with 6.5 million of your closest beer-drinking buddies, by all means, stay longer. :-)

As far as the timing or sequencing... Remember that 3 October is a German national holiday, so the crowds will always be heavy on that day. Crowds are also heavy on the weekends, especially the opening weekend.

I really don't think it will matter much whether you go the first or second week, as long as you keep the weekends and holiday in mind.

It will be a great experience.

Zed

Sacramento
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice for Oktoberfest 2014 from the experienced

My advice would be to make Oktoberfest one of the last stops on you journey. O'fest with jet lag is not as enjoyable. I would also avoid going on October 3rd due to the holiday. Most restaurants are open but other stores are closed that day. 2-3 days should be sufficient to have a great Oktoberfest experience.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice for Oktoberfest 2014 from the experienced

Avoid the weekends. Probably best time to go is on a week day during the second week, but watch out for the German National holiday. That day, or the night before, are not good choices. Strangely enough though, the night of the holiday was pretty quiet as all the locals had to get up for work next day.

Get there reasonably early, and if you find space on a table in a tent you like, camp there for as long as you can. 1 full day is enough, but we found ourselves coming back evenings just for the wonderful food and atmosphere.

4. Re: Looking for advice for Oktoberfest 2014 from the experienced

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 05:17