We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIXT Warning!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
SIXT Warning!

I rented a car from SIXT in France. I was swiped by another car which did not result in any scratches, dents or any other serious damage, only a little paint smudged off of the (non-metal) fender. I was asked to pay about 900 euros which I thought was excessive. I was told that since it was a German car, that German law applied (which I have since been informed is inaccurate.)

I asked for some evidence that they spent 900 euros to fix the damage, none was offered.

SIXT has now forwarded the case to an outside company who claims I must now pay $3,441.17.

I wonder if this is the special treatment afforded me as a SIXT Platinum member.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: SIXT Warning!

> I was asked to pay about 900 euros which I thought was excessive.

No. That's here normal. Also if you damage another private car. Only if this your own car you can opt for doing nothing or fix this for cheap. But as soon you go to an official car repair shop you have to expect such sums. Not just for the repair but you have to pay also for the time they cannot rent out this car (or with private cars for a rental car for the owner).

> who claims I must now pay $3,441.17.

Now that's however excessive.

You could write to the debt collecting company and to Sixt that you see this case with Sixt still as "open" - as they did not sent you the requested proofs - and that Sixt had thus no right whatever to pass this case already to a debt collecting company.

But you have to expect that they are able to provide such a proof (invoice of a repair shop). And this one is difficult to challenge.

Don't think it plays much of a role if French or German law applies. Customers rights are largely defined by EU law and had been implied into the national laws. And there is nothing in the law which will deny the rental car company to fix a damage properly. There is no obligation to do this as cheap as possible. As long as the party with the damage does not take direct advantages of doing something "expensive" no law will stop them to do so. Over-excessive would be e.g. a repair of a car which is costs more than the salvage value of the car at this time.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 01:14
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIXT Warning!

you side swiped a car, so insurance must pay. if you did not take out scdw, then sixt would have blocked around this amount on your card, and would have activated the debit. I cannot see how some other agency would be billing you for an amount. maybe your cc insurance was not valid and this refers to the tp car? and if so, then you would certainly be responsible. why not phone sixt and find out?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIXT Warning!

nakagoli,as I have said before Sixt do not block the self pay excess ammount on a credit car,def not for platinum members. The ammount blocked is for a tank of fuel so €100/150.

If the op has refused to pay then yes they will call in the debt collection agency.

Roy ,I would get in touch will Sixt and try to sort this out. Try a polite email to tom.gammon@sixt.com he is a company rep in the UK and has helped many people over on flyertalk

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIXT Warning!

I did not know that about sixt. however, the op says that he was sideswiped by another car, so it sounds like more than bumper damage. and if he filled in a report form with the other drives details, the claim would be handled by the other drivers insurance company. full info is somewhat lacking.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIXT Warning!

With the kind help of Mr. Tom Gammon, this issue has been addressed and resolved. That was far more personal attention than I would ever expect from an American car rental company. I compliment the company for their kindness and understanding.

Thanks to all the posters for all of your excellent advice!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIXT Warning!

glad that the matter was sorted. I presume that you are not able to say what the actual outcome was?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIXT Warning!

I'm glad he was able to help

8. Re: SIXT Warning!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 06:21