We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help in finalizing my Germany trip

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Please help in finalizing my Germany trip

Dear friends,

After a long thought and getting information from TA, we have chosen the following Itinerary to spend our time in Germany.

Berlin (4 days) –

Munich (4 – 5 days) –

Garmisch (2-3 days) – please suggest day trip (wants to see greenery and farms)

I have already done my research for sights and day trips from Berlin and Munich. (Any suggestions would be much appreciated), but I have a big confusion?

•What I know is that I have to start my trip from Dusseldorf and ultimately go back there, as I have to spend some days with my in-laws there before taking my flight back.

•The confusion I have is how to take best route to travel these places i.e. where we go first, second and third (by using minimum of travelling time) keeping in mind that I have to head back to Dusseldorf (I do not want to spend most of time in travelling).

•I kept Berlin and Munich for their architectural beauty and Garmisch to discover natural wonders.

•While staying in Dusseldorf, I would like to discover old town which I have not captured in my above plan. Any suggestion about a town similar to Rothenburg?

•I will be using public transport for travelling. Car can be used only if it is necessary.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help in finalizing my Germany trip

Need help please

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help in finalizing my Germany trip

Düsseldorf, Berlin and Munich are like a triangle. if you have to start and end your journey in Düsseldorf, it doesn't matter wheather you go to Berlin first and then Munich or vice versa. if you have to travel along this triangle anyway, i wouldn't stay so long in Garmisch and Munich, but rather visit some places along that triangle. Let's say you go from Düsseldorf to Berlin first, then i'd visit Bamberg on your way (train) to Munich, as it is no detour. Bamberg is not exactly like Rothenburg o.d.T., but also charming. Rothenburg is not far from Bamberg but not as easily accessible by train. Nuremberg is also on your way from Berlin to Munich, not sure however if it's worthwhile for you to stop there. When taking the train from Munich to Düsseldorf, you could see Augsburg, Stuttgart, Heidelberg, Middle Rhine Valley and Cologne on the way (you'd have to stay in one of those places overnight, otherwise that doesn't make sense). The least you should do is before finally arriving in Düsseldorf again hop off the train at Cologne to see the Cathedral. It is next to the train station and even if you have only one hour I think it would be worth it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help in finalizing my Germany trip

The Mittelrhein area is very nice for a few days visit and you can take a rhine cruise if the weather is good.

Nice cities are also Heidelberg and Monschau

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help in finalizing my Germany trip

Zons is described in local tourist brochures as being a bit like a Rhenish Rothenburg. Not sure about the comparison but it is pretty, and doesn't have crowds of tourists. However you have had lots of other recommendations for places en route now.

5. Re: Please help in finalizing my Germany trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:18