We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

chicago
Level Contributor
434 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

We will be traveling from Prague to Dresden on December, 3.

Several weeks ago, I looked at www.bahn.com, and I saw EC train with no connections (and the price was 19 euro).

I decided to by tickets today, but I do not see any trains with 0 connections. I see trains with a short bus connection (like 6 min). And 19 euro price is no longer available.

However, if I look for trains on December, 4, then I see the same EC train at the same time with zero connections.

I am confused. Why is there a short bus connection on my date?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
chicago
Level Contributor
434 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

Just some more information on this. On December, 3 - trains go from Prague to Usti nad Labem hl.n and then bus to Dresden. So, does it mean there is not direct trains from Prague to Dresden on certain days?

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,898 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

Track works from 01.12.13 23:00 till 04.12.13 04:00.

That there are no specials offered anymore is an error. Such train replacement buses are normally not treated any different than the trains. Check again in the next few days. If like now only standard fare tickets are offered, you can buy such a ticket as well at the counter in Prague.

CD shows at the moment no connections at all during this time. Guess these track works have just been announced. With CD eshop you can get the specials normally longer than from DB. Thus check also here again.

https:/…default_int.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

You can buy this ticket in Prague on the day - because of the aforementioned track works, there are no discounted tickets available for 3.12, but the regular ticket is only slightly more expensive at CZK 645 (€24.20) and it will be valid on the bus connection service which will go from Ústí nad Labem to Dresden.

See www.idos.cz for further information (English bottom right).

There is also a comfortable bus all the way www.studentagency.eu (€23) studentagency.cz/jizdenky/videa/index.html - you can just put your luggage in the hold and you get things like free wi-fi and movies, etc.

I would always recommend the train on this route because of the views, but as half of your journey will be done by bus anyway, the benefits view-wise are somewhat cancelled out, and the rail replacement bus is bound to be a bit spartan in comparison.

It's up to you.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
chicago
Level Contributor
434 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

Thank you so much for your responses! This makes sense now. I think I just buy tickets for a direct bus then.

chicago
Level Contributor
434 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

GCEK, on this studentagency.eu site, I see bus tickets for 11 EURO (Mikulášská nadílka), while regular price is 23 euro.

From what I understand, this is promotional price for non-returnable ticket. Is this correct?

I wanted to go ahead and book it, but just wanted to check if there is any limitations on these tickets for this price (other than non cancel/no return).

Thank you!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

No limitations that I can see - it is purely no cancel/no return. It is a 'Mikuláš' special www.pragueexperience.com/events/mikulas.asp - they do something similar in Germany, but it can be quite spectacular in Prague.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
chicago
Level Contributor
434 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

Perfect! Thank you!

It is too bad, I did not know about this day celebration in Prague on Dec, 5. :). I would plan, so we are in Prague. With current planning, we will be there from Nov, 30 to Dec, 3, and will miss it just by two days.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
8. Re: Question on train travel from Prague to Dresden in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20