We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bambergh or Rothemburg

Gainesville, FL
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bambergh or Rothemburg

I'll have one day to spend at either city at the begining of December. I'll be going from Nurembergh and on my way to Dietrich.

Which of the two cities would you recommend?

I have never been to Germany and would like the most traditional to visit.

Thank you so mcuh

Kelowna, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bambergh or Rothemburg

You are going in the Christmas season and that means Christmas markets. The one in Nuremberg is already fantastic.

Rothenburg is a medieval town, small and nicely done. Bamberg also offers nice historic places.

It is a hard choice. If you love beer, than you are better off to Bamberg. If you want to get a feel what small German medieval villages looked go to Rothenberg, you will not be disappointed.

Hope that helps.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bambergh or Rothemburg

First, I don't want to seem too picky about this, but spelling matters in Germany, especially if you're trying to book trains on the Deutsche Bahn website.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is quite touristy, with buses offloading their tourists in the morning and collecting them back in the afternoon. Still, it's an interesting city with its history, architecture, and museums (the Kriminalmuseum was something completely different).

Bamberg's town center is on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list:

Bamberg is not as overrun with tourists as Rothenburg even though it's quite interesting and scenic.

Both have appeal, and I don't think, for a first-timer in Germany, you could really go wrong with either. My personal preference would be Bamberg.

Both should have great Christmas markets in December, and I suspect that Rothenburg's may be a bit more packed.

I'm not sure how you're getting around... train or car... but you may want to see how easy it is to get to either along your route between Nuremberg and Dietrich. If you're spending half of your day getting to one and only an hour getting to the other, that may make the call for you. (By the way, Google Maps doesn't return anything for Dietrich, Germany when I did a search, so I'm not sure where that is.)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bambergh or Rothemburg

Haven't heard of a place called Dietrich either - it's a first name, not a town.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bambergh or Rothemburg

The Rothenburg Christmas market is very small

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,792 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bambergh or Rothemburg

Bamberg would be my choice too - I love that city and the beer is definitely a reason all on its own to visit :-) Rothenburg obT is very nice too, and being December, I am sure it will be very different than when we visted in the height of summer. I wouldn't expect too many bus loads of tourists in December, but I could be wrong.

6. Re: Bambergh or Rothemburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:17