We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in germany

Cochin, Kerala...
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in germany

i,husband ,and one more couple are planning to travel in Germany for 2 weeks during end of April 2014.We wish to visit the main cities like Munich ,Berlin ,hamburg ,cologne, and also neishwanstein

Kindly enlighten me the best things to do and see in the above mentioned places.

We are in our late 30's ,we are not very fond of visiting museums but are interested in hanging around and seeing beautiful places,love food and to chill out.We love night life as well.

Is there any other must see places in Germany.

we also don't mind considering staying for 2-3 nights in any beautiful villages nearby .

Thankyou.awaiting ,,,!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in germany

I think you may be trying to see too much in such a short period of time. Munich and Berlin warrant at least 3-5 days each to see them properly. I've not been to Hamburg or Cologne, but I'd guess they're worth 2-4 days each, too. Throw in half a day or so to get between each city, and that's 2 or 3 travel days (6 hours between Munich and Berlin; 2 hours between Berlin and Hamburg; 4 hours between Hamburg and Cologne).

Neuschwanstein can be done as a long day trip from Munich.

I'd suggest that you look at the Top Questions section in each city's forum, decide which cities appeal to you most, and pare down your list to 2 or 3 of them, tops.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in germany

If you like to chill out, it's out of the question that you visit Germany from south to east to north to west, this will be a race and no vaccation.

Do start in Munich and cover Neuschwanstein, then you could go to Berlin, both cities have more than enough to not get bored in 2 weeks, you could visit Dresden and the saechsische-schweiz.de/en/saxon-switzerland.… on your way from Munich to Berlin.

Hamburg is very nice and could be combined with a visit to Luebeck luebeck.de/languages/…index.html on the way from Berlin, Cologne can be done rather quickly if you want, but if you like to visit the world heritage site of the middle Rhine valley www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php… it will be taking more time than you have.

I could post easiely 1000 things you'll miss very worse visiting by rushing around like you plan and the down part is you only concentrate on cities, Germany has a beautiful country side and often it only takes minutes to reach it and be off the beaten tourist path if you like that idea.

I know people from India and Asia like to travel fast, I do too and try to cover to much in to little time, but then I always cut down my initiary, you want to go from Kerala to Mumbai in 2 weeks and see and do a lot, staying in smaller towns for a night or two, that's just not possible with the chilling out idea.

Cochin, Kerala...
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in germany

Thankyou zed and

Thankyou Uta H for your valuable reply.i understand its a rush to cover all the cities I mentioned in my mail.So we do not mind cutting down cologne and sticking with Berlin , Munich with neichweinstan and also maybe hamburg.

we also like the idea of the beautiful countryside u mentioned in your mail.can u pls tell me the good worth visiting villages nearby these cities.it would be great if u could set a travel route for us with 3 or 4 nights in each place for 2 weeks.Also kindly tell me which is better to get to these places by Eurail or take the internal flights.thankyou.

Level Contributor
2,609 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in germany

Re trains/planes - flying makes sense only for LONG distances like Hamburg-Munich. If you are willing to shop around and take early morning or late evening flights, these are inexpensive. Otherwise take the train and buy specific ones in advance. Then they are a bargain. 2nd class is fine. If over an hour, I recommend reserving a seat. I like Hamburg, but I would sooner include Nuernberg, wuerzburg and Dresden. The south has more exciting Baroque architecture and rolling countryside. The north tends to be flatter and more restrained. I love the north, but for 1st timers - skip Hamburg.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
170 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in germany

Hamburg can be done as a day trip from Berlin. If you take the high speed train ICE (InterCity Express), it is only 1.15 hr from Berlin.

I disagree with the previous post of skipping Hamburg for the following reasons:

- Hamburg is Germany's second largest city and has Europe's second largest harbor ---- you can do the harbor tour combined with Speicherstadt (an old and famous warehouse district)

- The city is proud of having a special Hanseatic heritage ---- the Old City is small, which is better for one day trip but by that you would get enough of the Hamburg spirit. The Binnenalster lake is 2 min walk from the Rathaus and the Außenalster lake is the one just north of it and offers a great walk. A harbor promenade in the famous Landungsbrücken is also an option for you.

- Hamburg is home to Europe's biggest architectural complex: the HafenCity, definitely not to be missed. It s a huge area with modern architecture, the Elbphilarmonie and great views on the Harbor and the Elbe River.

- Hamburg has more bridges than London, Venice and Amsterdam combined. The many water canals running through the city gives it a special atmosphere for people wandering in the city.

- A nice shopping street is on the Mönckebergstraße, also famous for its high- fashion stores.

Hamburg is very different than Berlin. One cannot say that northern Germany is just Berlin. I would skip Cologne and west Germany. Munich and Berlin would be the top 2 cities to visit in your case.

Each Dresden, Hamburg and Lübeck can be visted as day trips from Berlin.

Another palace near Munich is the Herrenchiemsee palace. I find it more appealing than Neuschwanstein and much closer to Munich. From Munich, consider a day trip to Garmisch- Partenkirchen, from which you can go up to Germany's highest peak (Zugspitze) or hike the Partnachklamm gorge. Superb region in the Bavarian alps.

TO summarize, choose Berlin and Munich as your only overnight stops (except Dresden if you wish so) because of their easy access to all cities and sights mentioned above.

Enjoy your stay in Germany!

Edited: 12 December 2013, 13:18
Cochin, Kerala...
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in germany

Thanx a ton for the valuable informations.i hav short listed to Munich ,Berlin & hamburg.its somuch more easier now to fix my itinerary.anymore details u think can help me,,pls post it.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in germany

All of the places you mention are in former West Germany. So why not add Leipzig, for instance, which is on your way from Munich to Berlin anyway. And you should also add Nürnberg. This region is called "Franconian Switzerland" and has a unique style of architecture with many half-timbered houses. And there are good sausages. They also have a doughnut-like pastry called "Ausgezogene". Here, you have a picture, but they call them "Knieküchle" instead: http://tinyurl.com/qb9g2d7

Cochin, Kerala...
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in germany

This is the itinerary that we have finally arrived,but yet to be confirmed.

Pls post in your suggestions .

Fly into Munich ,(on April 23rd 2014,)

4 nights in Munich ,doing a day trip to Salzburg .

2 nights in fussen ( day trips to alps and neuschwenstein and linderhof castle)

1 night in Heidelberg

1 night in Rothenburg

1 night in Nuremberg (day trip to Wurzberg )

1 night in Leipzig

1 night in Dresden

2 nights in Prague

2 nights in Berlin

We really do not want to miss the best parts of Germany .We have got only 15 nights ,so we have made our itinerary this way.Please send in your valuable inputs.Any changes could be made to the above itinerary because we have not booked anything so far.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in germany

Hi there,

the itinerary so far looks great to cover many nice places at Germany. Well done!

Still I think it’s way too ambitious if you like to travel all these towns by train. You would spend half of your vacation either on the way to the train stations, leaving the train stations, or sitting in the train.

This would not be the way how I would like to spend my valuable holidays…..

Or did you decide to get a car? Then forget all the above.

I think having a car is the best way to get around: time efficient, plus you have the choice to reach places easily, which are hard to reach by train (like Linderhof palace, Alps)

Enjoy a great trip,

Cochin, Kerala...
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in germany

Hey, we have decided on chauffeur driven car and not rail.

Hope the best places are in the list .!!