We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time international travel

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time international travel

Hi, I will travelling to germany in a few days. This is my first international travel and I have no idea about immigration and passport control. Can anyone throw some light on how strict the security checks are at the Dusseldorf Airport and what papers I must keep handy with me during security clearing?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,398 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time international travel

There are no security checks upon arrival in Germany, only immigration/passport control and customs clearance. Just follow the exit signs after you get off the airplane.

Holders of Indian passports do need a visa, so you should have that and your passport handy upon arrival. I have no idea what visa holders need to present upon request (e.g. hotel address) but I'm sure it will be stated in your documents somewhere.

After passport control you will pick up your luggage (if the port of entry is your final destination, if you have a connecting flight your bags should be checked through) and take it through the customs check-point.

Don't bring any unsealed food, more than 200 cigarettes, more than 1 liter of hard alcohol or more than 10.000 EUR in cash and you can proceed through the green "Nothing to declare" line. They may still search your bags randomly there, though.

Check the customs information website for details: …zoll.de/english_version/…index.html

Happy travels!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time international travel

thanks a lot..:) one more enquiry, what about personal medications like paracetamols or meds like that?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,398 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time international travel

Medicine required for personal use during the trip is fine.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,376 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time international travel

I am bemused? first time for international travel ? arriving in Germany in a few days? and you don't know what to do?

I only hope that you have gone to the Germany embassy in india to ensure that you have a visa etc. they would have explained exactly what you needed, as would the agent with whom you booked your flight.

5. Re: First time international travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17