We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

Hello,

This spring I will be flying from New Mexico, USA to Munich, Germany. This will be my first international flight and first flight that is longer than 3 hours and not on Southwest Airlines. I will be flying on Lufthansa. Can anyone tell me what I can expect? Or provide advice on how to make my flight better/ not a total failure? And please don't say go first class or business class...not in the budget and tickets have be purchased.

Thanks!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

Not quite sure what kind of information you are looking for. Perhaps a bit more specific? A flight is a flight, just this one is longer.

Do you mean info about seating, meals, drinks, entertainment, carry-ons, going through security at the airport before departure, or what happens when you land in Munich?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

An airplane is an airplane is an airplane and only frequent flyers will notice the differences between all the international carriers. They are not that huge and you can't go totally wrong on any of the major airlines across the Atlantic. Personally, I like Lufthansa. The service is better than on US, UA, DL or BA, their new seats are fairly comfortable (as much as they can be in economy class) and they have onboard entertainment in every seat (some really old B747s being the exception).

Be aware, though, that Lufthansa is really strict on carry-on allowance. If they write that you can only take 8kg (17,6lbs) into the cabin, they mean it. I've experienced it more than once that they checked the size and weight of the carry-ons before boarding at the gate. Check the LH website for details: www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Carry-on-baggage

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

As said do stick within the luggage limits,unlike some airlines LH tend to stick to it.

You will be fed on board and alcoholic drinks are free, though if you want extra you may have to go to the galley and ask for it,ringing the call bell only really works in Biz and first!

You will have a personal tv and headphones,

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,185 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

Lufthansa is just another typical airline, nothing particularly good or bad. Be aware that they codeshare flights with United, so when checking in make sure to do it at the appropriate counter. My advice, and what I always try to do when flying east, is to try to sleep for the entire flight and you might arrive somewhat rested instead of missing a night's sleep. I have an old walkman and when I board my flight in the USA I just close my eyes and listen to my favorite tape repeatedly. I refuse the dinner and only have the mediocre breakfast, but when I arrive in Germany at least my eyes are rested even if I have slept poorly and am ready for that day.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,244 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

We flew from Oz to Germany last xmas.. the Singaopre to Frankfurt legs (out and return) were with Lufthansa and I have no complaints at all.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,702 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

Bring an inflatable neck pillow and eye mask to help you sleep on the flight - and your own headphones for the in seat entertainment. Make sure you stay hydrated and get up and move around every few hours. I always bring some few snacks as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

SO Lufthansa flies to Albuquerque? That is a surprise. Or are you arriving in Denver or other US city? Perhaps you will be also on United Airlines, US code-share with Lufthansa.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

@ bornheimgirl...

What kind of entertainment is there? The other posts said that there was a TV in each seat. Will there be more than one movie on it? Also, what is the food like? I have picky eaters traveling with me and I want be prepared. Lastly, what does happen when you land? I have always landed in the US.

Lufthansa does not fly in to Albuquerque. I will be flying United to Chicago then switch to Lufthansa. On the way back, I will fly Lufthansa to Denver. The Albuquerque International Sunport just isn't that international. :)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

Lufthansa will send you an e-mail, I think 23 hours before your trip, that the flight is now ready for check-in. And unless you reserved your seat when booking the ticket already, you should definitely do that on a long-haul flight! That is, unless you want one of these middle seats with two neighbors on each side ...

If you check in right away, you might be able to get a window seat or an aisle seat, whichever you prefer.

On my flight back to Japan, I had no choice and was simply allocated a window seat, but then, maybe those flying out of Japan all knew about the self-check-in and just were faster.

Other than that, it's an airline like any other. On-board entertainment is not so good because they have a touch-screen that hardly works. But well, at least you have your own screen, and the program was quite alright.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 06:42
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to expect when flying Lufthansa?

>>>What kind of entertainment is there? The other posts said that there was a TV in each seat. Will there be more than one movie on it?

They have dozens of movies, tv series, radio channels and games to choose from. You can check on the website what the selection will be like on your flight: lufthansa.com/de/en/Inflight-Entertainment

The touch-screen is a bit odd since it is not as sensitive as we are used to from smartphones and tablets. Use the tip of your fingernails to touch the screen and be patient that the system needs a second to react. Just don't press hard, that only drives the passenger in the seat in front of you crazy.

Also check seatguru to find out which type of aircraft you will be on and what seats are like: http://www.seatguru.com/

>>>>Also, what is the food like? I have picky eaters traveling with me and I want be prepared.

I really hate airline meals - Lufthansa serves some of the better ones. If you have special dietary needs you can order special meals free of charge before you start your travel. Check this site: www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Food-and-beverages_1

May be a good idea to take some of your favorite snacks or sandwiches along so that even the pickiest eaters have something to eat on the long flight.

>>>Lastly, what does happen when you land? I have always landed in the US.

You get off of the plane and follow the signs to baggage claim. It will automatically take you to the immigration check (just show your passport to the officer). In the baggage claim area you pick up your luggage from the belt and take it through customs (check here on what is allowed to bring to Germany and what not: frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airp… ). That's it, you are in the arrivals hall.

As Petra F wrote: Make a seat reservation if not done in the booking process anyway. You can access your booking through the lufthansa website and reserve your seats way in advance. If not, you are likely to end up stuck between others somewhere in the middle.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 07:39