We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ICE train Family friendly Seating?

Washington, DC
6 posts
Save Topic
ICE train Family friendly Seating?

Family of 4 travelling on ICE33 from Hamburg to Copenhagen.

Getting ready to book the tickets but noticed that there is an option for Open Saloon, Open Saloon with Table or Compartment.

I think I understand the differences but was wondering if any of you know these options well and can suggest the best option for a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids, ages 8 & 10.

It looks like the compartments are 6 seaters? Does that mean others would sit with us?

Another question I have What exactly does this mean "Family reservation for all passengers together 9,00 EUR (for max. 2 trains in each direction)."

Thanks

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ICE train Family friendly Seating?

I would go for "open saloon with table". This is a table for 4 passengers.You are right about the compartments.

For many trains you can see the layout of the car during the booking process. Family reservation probably means that you get 4 reserved seats for the price of two.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ICE train Family friendly Seating?

Yes, the compartments have 6 seats. But I wouldn't worry too much about anyone else sitting with you. If a compartment is occupied, people usually move on. If the train is very crowded, then of course there will be two strangers in your compartment as well.

I think a compartment would be the best choice - both for you and for the other passengers.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 18:34
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ICE train Family friendly Seating?

The ICE trains on this route are of the ICE-TD type. Apart from a single "family with small children" (your kids are too old for this) compartment ICE-TD type trains have no further compartments at all in 2nd class.

Best seating option is thus "open saloon with table". These are however the seats which will be gone first on this train type.

4. Re: ICE train Family friendly Seating?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:18