We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

My DD is studying abroad in Germany. I've never been abroad and I would like to go visit her, but when I'm looking at flights from DFW -->Berlin it's pretty expensive for a May visit.

Just starting to think about going... nothing firmed up...but I thought I'd start with flights first.

I thought I'd fly into Berlin and fly home from either Vienna or Frankfurt...

Do you all have any suggestions on the best way to fly?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

Check http://www.kayak.com/ or http://www.skyscanner.de/ to find the best options, I know there are direct flights from FRA to DFW I connected there going and coming from Mobile, AL., but maybe you get a better price if you connect in Amsterdam.

Book directly with the airline after you found a flight through one of the links.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

Since todays's Sunday, get your local paper and look at the travel section. There will be small ads there for airfare to various places around the world. Check their prices and perhaps give them a call. And don't wrongly assume that because airlines are in the same alliance that they offer the same prices, even if the same planes are used. There can be a considerable difference in prices.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

Flights are expensive right now, compared to past years. I don't know why, since fuel prices have been dropping. You'll just have to "bite the bullet" and pay or do what I'm doing and not go this spring.

New York
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

An earlier visit might be cheaper. The worse the weather is likely to be (except for Christmas), the lower the fares. Also, although I often find flights to Berlin to be pretty cheap, sometimes other cities in Germany or close by are cheaper. Flights in Germany or from neighbors are often very inexpensive, if you are willing to fly at odd times. If you are flying when the business plublic flies, expect to pay more. Train fares are also very inexpensive, but you have to buy well in advance and book specific departure times - so you cannot cut it too close. Hamburg is very close by train. Other cities like Munich and Frankfurt - the train trip is pretty long. Visiting Berlin - expecially to see someone who already knows his/her way around - great!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

Don't fly into one city and leave from another. That's usually very expensive. Better book a second flight (or train ticket) from Berlin to Vienna.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 21:20
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

Thx - back to the drawing board....

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,812 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

another one to check out for flights http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

and confirming what Marcoploko said about flights - we flew Sydney to Frankfurt with Qantas/Lufthansa 13 months ago (when they were still in an alliance) first leg was on QF and 2nd leg was on LH ..there was a $500+ difference per ticket between in the prices quoted - so it pays to really check these things out

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,721 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

Petra, this is not true at all as long as you are on the same airline. It costs often roughly the same (+ - 5%) whether you book an open jaw flight or a normal return flight, and it saves you a lot of hassle.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

#5 and #8

An open jaw ticket flying into one city and returning from another city should be the average of the round trip flights to and from either city for any airline. At least that's the way it was always done in the past, but I suppose they might now impose other fees.

10. Re: want to visit college DD living in Germany...Flight options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:20