We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2014 Germany Trip-Itinerary advice:

cincinnati
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
May 2014 Germany Trip-Itinerary advice:

Flying into Paris then fly to Berlin, have not booked flights yet, so front end and back end are open at this point. We are in our 50's , energetic, hate to shop, well travelled, but not much in Europe. Have done more Eco traveling so far. Any thoughts?

4 nights in Berlin

Early train to Dresden or Meissen

1 night in Dresden or Meissen

Train to Prague

2 nights in Prague

Early train to friend's place outside Nuremberg

1 night at friend's house

Rent car and drive through Weikersheim to Rothenburg

1 night in Rothenburg

Drive on through Dinkelesbuhl, Landsberg to Fussen

1 or 2 nights in Fussen

After this unsure? We can leave from any city. Have 3 or 4 more days to plan. Any additional suggestions of where to spend more time? Should we add to the, beginning, middle or end of the trip, or maybe bust a move to a totally different area for 3 or 4 days?? Don't think we want to spend time in Munich since we are in Berlin for 4 days, although it would be an easy city to depart from I suppose? Thanks a bunch:)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,670 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 2014 Germany Trip-Itinerary advice:

If you love Beer, especially German Beer, I would say going to Munich for the 3-4 days extra you have would be worth it, but it also depends on what other things you are interested in.

Also you mention you fly to Paris and then to Berlin. Where are you flying back from?

Also If you are going to Paris first and you know you will have a good 3-4 days to spare then you have Amsterdam, Brussels and London that are relatively close to Paris where you can get on a train to go to those places if you have never been. You have a lot of options and places you can go but it really depends on your particular interests. I personally am just suggesting places that are relatively close to one another that you may be interested in.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 20:56
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 2014 Germany Trip-Itinerary advice:

Use the 3 or 4 days to spend longer in the places already on your list. Meissen is indeed lovely, as is Dresden so spend 2 nights minimum in that area (I'd say Dresden with excursion to Meissen). 4 nights in Berlin isn't long if it means 3 days, especially as Potsdam is worth adding for one day (from Berlin).

Munich is very different from Berlin and as you noted good to fly out of. You don't need 2 nights in Füssen, from what I have heard you are taken through the castles very briskly. We haven't been in Neuschwanstein, we visited the medieval castle in the town instead; it is now a museum (Füssen is very pretty)

btw I think Prague is good for beer-drinkers too, not just Munich!

Edited: 05 February 2014, 21:18
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 2014 Germany Trip-Itinerary advice:

Once you are in Füssen Munich is the most likely place to fly back home.

It's completely different from Berlin, so another stay in a city wouldn't do any harm. You could also consider spending a few days in the mountains ... Garmisch, Mittenwald, Walchensee ...

PS you get beer from Munich almost everywhere. No need to travel to Munich just for beer tasting ;)

Edited: 05 February 2014, 21:22
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 2014 Germany Trip-Itinerary advice:

I prefer Dresden to Meissen. But I also prefer wine (Germany's is underrated and inexpensive) to beer (all good, but only so many different ones and so much you can drink). I agree that Berlin and Munich are quite different and you can easily spend 2-3 or 4 days in Munich. Everyone writes about Neuschwanstein. Nymphenburg comes in a distant second. No one writes about Schleissheim, the most beautiful (and empty) of all and a short, nice walk from the S-Bahn platform, with an aircraft museum and historical landing field a stone's throw away.

5. Re: May 2014 Germany Trip-Itinerary advice:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:21