We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Art Deco architecture in Germany

Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Art Deco architecture in Germany

Any suggestions for where we can visit Art Deco buildings in Germany? We plan to drive from Munich to Berlin. Thinking of a route including Wartburg, Erfurt, Weimar, Leipzig, Potsdam, but nothing set in concrete.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

Weimar/Dessau for Bauhaus style

Darmstadt Mathildenhöhe for Jugendstil

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

There is not much pure 1920s Art Deco architecture in Germany. Bauhaus style had a stronger influence on German architects but isn't art deco, also expressionist archietecture which isn't art deco either. The events of 1933 and after then set an end to all modern developments, so it's just one decade instead of two in other countries.

(Jugendstil is pre-World War I and no art deco either.)

The Grassi Museum in Leipzig comes to my mind as an art deco building.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,201 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

Here an article (in German) about Art Déco in Germany.

monumente-online.de/12/…Art_Deco.php

Berlin Renaissance-Theater (photos 1-3)

Leipzig Grassimuseum (photos 4 + 7)

some more photos in the photo gallery to this article

monumente-online.de/12/…

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

Halle (Saale) has plenty of Art Deco buidings. And then there's the Spa of Bad Nauheim. Bad Nauheim hasn't been destroyed during the war so it has some very nice architecture besides the Spa. Since you are starting in Munich, don't miss the "Müllersches Volksbad" opposite the Deutsches Museum. According to Wikipedia it was constructed in 1901 and at the time is was the largest and most expensive public swimming pool in the world. Bring your togs - it is still open to the public.

Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

Thank you all very much for the information. I appreciate you help.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

Folks - as I said above, Art Deco is a style of the 1920's and not the same as Jugendstil (Art Nouveau), the latter being popular before World War I. So better not confuse them, they are two pairs of boots. The Nauheim spa, for example, is pure Jugendstil.

New York
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

The zeppelin museum on Lake Constance is a great example as is the Ellington Hotel on Nuernbergerstrasse in Berlin. Sad that the style was ruined by cheap copies. The VW Factory in Dresden has elements of Bauhaus, too.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

That's Bauhaus style, not Art Deco, Rob.

An excellent example for Art Deco would be Cafe Hartmann in Freiberg :-)

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/108d7f/

9. Re: Art Deco architecture in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:19