We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

Hello all,

This is Keerthi. I am from India. I am planning to visit Germany in March last week. I will be there for 15 days. My wife is already there in Germany at Badneustadt a.d.saale for the past 8months. So we would like to start our trip from here.

We are planning for going around in Germany and most probably italy if there is time. I have seen some of the posts here about bavaria train for couples and Berlin and Hamburg. As I am an automobile engineer I would like to visit Stuttgart as well if there is time and from there to Italy.

Need your iputs in planning my trip efficiently so that we can cover up maximum places in the short time we have.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

HI Keerthi,

I'll have a try on your request, supposing that you'll arrive in Frankfurt and meet your wife in Bad Neustadt a.d. Saale first. But I think 15 days for both Germany and Italy is a bit tight.

Day 1:

Badneustadt -> Wolfsburg (4-5 hours by train);

Day 2:

Wolfsburg Autostadt ( http://www.autostadt.de ) and tour through VW factory; in the evening -> Hamburg (2:30 h by train)

Day 3:

Hamburg

Day 4:

Hamburg -> Berlin (90 minutes by train)

Day 5-7:

Berlin, maybe one day in Potsdam

Day 8:

in the morning Flight Berlin-Tegel to Milan Malpensa; rent a car and drive to Genoa

Day 9:

Genoa

Day 10:

Drive to Tuscany (Carrara region), Lucca or Pisa

Day 11:

Carrara, Lucca or Pisa

Day 12:

Drive back to Milan

Day 13-14:

Milan

Day 15:

Flight from Milan to Frankfurt

Edited: 21 February 2014, 11:55
Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

For things to see and do in and around Stuttgart, have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 . For automotive things, have a look at what I wrote in tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187276-i703-k4460… , unfortunately the listed special events have long passed.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

You have told us you want to see car-related places and would like to include Stuttgart and Leitstrahl has made the suggestion of including Wolfsburg, but we don't know where else you are interested in (in Germany or in Italy).

If you want to see Berlin this trip it's probably simpler to go to Berlin first then from there by train to Wolfsburg (only just over an hour on an intercity). Then you could get a train from Wolfsburg to Stuttgart to spend a couple of days there. Then fly from Stuttgart to somewhere in Italy.

Where were you interested in going in Italy? Venice, Florence, Rome? They seem to be top of many people's lists and you can get flights from Germany to all of them (for Tuscany either fly to Pisa or to Florence).

Are you going to be flying back home from Italy (From Rome? Milan? or?) or do you have to get back to Germany?. That would affect planning too. One option would be to get a train to Munich from Italy (Munich is one of the main hubs in Germany)

edit: there are regional tickets for every area of Germany, if that is what you meant about Bavaria train. There are automotive visits in Munich and area too and as I said Munich is a hub airport

Edited: 21 February 2014, 15:41
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

Thanks a lot everyone. First of all I would like to thank leitstrahl, Markopolko and Lynda for your time. Your guidance is really helping me to plan my trip much better.

Coming to Germany I liked the plan of first going to Berlin stay there for 2 days and head towards to wolfsburg and then Stuttgart.

After reading your valuable inputs I fear I need to remove the option of Wolfsburg and go to Stuttgart as many of the Automibile companies are situated near by Stuttgart.

How about Hamburg as an option ? I have read many reviews and forums that nightlife at Hamburg is the one to experience. Just wanted to ask is it really worth it, considering I am travelling with my wife, is there anything apart from that to watchout so that we can spend a day at Hamburg ?

From Stuttgart I can travel to Munich. Can you please guide me how many days should I plan for Munich ? or should I just use Munich as an option to go to Italy ?

Coming to Italy I am planning to visit Rome and Venice. I know Milan is an option too but I feae I cant include that in my plan as it is on the other part of Italy.

Finally we would return to Badneustadt after our trip. I think we need to find a train or flight from Venice to Munich.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 16:25
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

Thanks a lot everyone. First of all I would like to thank leitstrahl, Markopolko and Lynda for your time. Your guidance is really helping me to plan my trip much better.

Coming to Germany I liked the plan of first going to Berling stay there for 2 days and head towards to wolfsburg and then Stuttgart.

After reading your valuable inputs I fear I need to remove the option of Wolfsburg and go to Stuttgart as many of the Automibile companies are situated near by Stuttgart.

How about Hamburg as an option ? I have read many reviews and forums that nightlife at Hamburg is the one to experience. Just wanted to ask is it really worth it, considering I am travelling with my wife, is there anything apart from that to watchout so that we can spend a day at Hamburg ?

From Stuttgart I can travel to Munich. Can you please guide me how many days should I plan for Munich ? or should I just use Munich as an option to go to Italy ?

Coming to Italy I am planning to visit Rome and Venice. I know Milan is an option too but I feae I cant include that in my plan as it is on the other part of Italy.

Finally we would return to Badneustadt after our trip. I think we need to find a train or flight from Venice to Munich.

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

I think your wife will know after 8 months: The area around Bad Neustadt itself offers some beautiful small towns like Karlstadt, Bamberg, Lohr, Würzburg...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

As an automobile engineer you might contact Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Bosch and Mahle to see if you might be able to see things that the normal public doesn't get to visit. I know Mahle has its own private museum area which the general public isn't allowed into. As part of the Mercedes Museum tour in the morning you are also usually offered to visit their motor plant nextdoor for a tour.

By the way, Stuttgart is a hub for three discount airlines ( www.germanwings.com ; www.airberlin.com ; www.tuifly.com ) if you might like to fly to Italy.

8. Re: Need your help in planning my trip in Germany for 15 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 05:19