We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin-Bavaria

Cathedral City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Berlin-Bavaria

Hi Everyone:

I'll be traveling alone to Germany May 16-31 2014. I'm planning to stay in Berlin for about a week and I then want to see the castles of King Ludwig II including Linderhof and some of the medieval towns of Bavaria. Then I'll return to Berlin and fly out.

Berlin is easy planning. I found a nice place to stay and think I can figure out the metro as I've heard it's rather easy.

What's the cheapest way to see Bavarian sights outside of Berlin? Should I take a train to Munich then rent a car? Or rent a car from Berlin? Do I need to rent a car (I'd rather not). Can one get around without a car? Are there trains directly from Berlin to the castles? Are there cheap B&B's or guesthouses in Bavaria?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've never been. Thank you!

Cheers,

Jamesy

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,212 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin-Bavaria

You can easily get round without a car -

train from berlin to munich see www.bahn.de change to english at the top - you should just about be able to book your tickets (advance purchase 'specials' go on sale 92 days ahead and are heaps cheaper) have a play round with dates in may vs dates next week and see the difference

munich has a good local transport network. Herrenchiemsee (another of Ludwigs creations) is easy to visit by train from Munich.

you should also check out www.seat61.com for more great train info

Cathedral City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin-Bavaria

Thank you Themoore! That's great to know about not needing a car.

I was looking on the website for trains and there's a 5-day pass, available until March 31. It says you can purchase it until April. This gives me a 10% discount. Do you mean there are even cheaper deals?

Thank you again!

Cheers,

Jamesy

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin-Bavaria

there are Saver fares from 29€ but with popular destinations like Berlin and Munich they sell out very fast (a recent experience of mine: I booked to go to Berlin on a Saturday in May and had to pay 59€ booking a minute after midnight as the 29€ fares on 3 possible trains had gone while the page loaded; but that was still about half the normal fare for the route.)

Erfurt, en route from Berlin to Bavaria has a beautiful Old Town that was not destroyed by bombing in the war, maybe you'd get better deals booking with an overnight stay there.

Travelling in Bavaria on local (regional) trains you can use a Bayern-Ticket . For more info look at regional offers on the bahn website

I have no idea about the 5-day passes as I always book those saver fares in advance (but I have very clear travel plans to be able to do that, the pass probably gives you more flexibility)

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin-Bavaria

What "website for trains" were you looking at? The only reliable information you can get is the one straight from the source, which is the link supplied by Thmoore.

Cathedral City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin-Bavaria

Thank you so much, Lynda! And for the advice on regional travel. You said you were booking for May??? Should I be booking right now?

Cheers,

Jamesy

Cathedral City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin-Bavaria

Yes Altamiro, that was the website I was looking on.

Cheers,

Jamesy

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin-Bavaria

If you want the cheapest tickets you have to book now. Standard tickets will be always available but will costmore. Enter tomorrows date and you will see how much it costs if you just walk up.

8. Re: Berlin-Bavaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:19