We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Germany

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in Germany

We are a young couple traveling through Germany for the first time for a total of two weeks. I was just after some recommendations of the best cities to visit and stay in over that time.

We are catching the train into Frankfurt but have been told it's not the most exciting place to visit as a tourist. Would you recommend that we just keep going on to another city?

We love history, nature, sightseeing and want to see some of the quintessential German towns like Heidelberg etc. We don't have a car so will be traveling by train.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

New York
Level Contributor
532 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Germany

Frankfurt is worth at least a full day stay...Walk around the Old Town ( Romer) & enjoy the city.

Heidelburg is lovely visit the Old Castle overlooking the city...there is a tram that takes you up.

You can also go to Wurzburg....The Wurzburg Residence is definately worh a visit & it's a lovely town.

Nurnberg is also spectacular...............& so is Rothenburg ob Tauber

We have done all of the above cities, but we rent a car & no worries abt train schedules or having to stay near the train station....we stay on the outskirts of the cities & take the trams in.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Germany

Frankfurt is definitely worth one or two days. True, it was leveled in WWII, but the horrible post war buildings have given way to beautiful, modern buildings (by far the most highrises in Germany) and lovingly restored historical ones like the Old Opera and West End villas. Goethe's home is in Frankfurt - he's mentioned in the same company as Shakespeare. The house itself is worth seeing for itself. The riverfront is crowded with excellent museums and views of the city. None of them is overwhelming, but all very, very good. Find a restaurant on top of one of the highrises and enjoy the view of the Taunus to the north. It's the home of the best suburban neighborhoods and a spa favored by royalty for centuries. The Palmen Gardens are the old Rothschild estate, converted to a wonderful botanical garden. The zoo is good. There are Roman ruins. It is small enough that you can see it all by foot or with some help from the street cars. So don't rush off.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
482 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Germany

There have been heated discussion about Frankfurt in the past. Let's say, it is not my personal favorite. It is is a modern city with wonderful skyscrapers and modern architectures, but these are not the sights I cherish most in Germany.

Heidelberg is lovely, and I agree with those who recommend Wurzburg. If I were you, i would've never miss Ulm - it's my favorite. Augrsburg is on the way from Ulm to Munich and it is a noce town. I also love Nuremberg.

Moving into the former GDR, Dresden is absolutely a must. And if for any reason you woul want togo North from Frankfurt, Cologne is a nice place fir a day visit. There are of course many other other places, these are just some personal choices.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in Germany

Thanks so much for all the advice! Really helpful. We have decided to base ourselves for two days in Frankfurt - one day to explore the city itself given the responses above and another to do a day trip. Are Mainz and Wiesbaden worth a look?

After that we will head to Heidelberg and stay a full day and one night. Not too sure after that but we will be making our way towards Munich as our final destination. Will look into all the towns suggested above. Wish we had longer than two weeks now!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks in Germany

>>>The Palmen Gardens are the old Rothschild estate, converted to a wonderful botanical garden. <<<

That's not quite correct. Palmengarten has always been a botanical garden, Rothschild Park is the place of the former Rothschild Villa. It was destroyed by bombs, today there is a bank Tower (housing Edmond Rothschild bank since 2011 - now both remaining Rothschild Banks have representations in Frankfurt again). The park of the former Palais is a public garden nowadays.

The Rothschild Palais next to the river houses the Jewish Museum.

PS I prefer Wiesbaden over Mainz. It is one of the very few cities that were not destroyed during the war as US-troops planned to set up their European Headquarters there (so the saying goes ...) It will give you an unique idea what German pre-war cities looked like and is a nice contrast to Frankfurt.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 11:03
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks in Germany

RobLaw, I think you were talking about Grüneburgpark which is right next to Palmengarten and were once yet another Rothschild Palais (Neues Palais an der Grünen Burg) stood. I didn't know about that one before.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks in Germany

"We love history, nature, sightseeing and want to see some of the quintessential German towns like Heidelberg etc.... Are Mainz and Wiesbaden worth a look?"

Frankfurt, Mainz, Würzburg, Munich... cities of this size were all targeted heavily in WW II. Wiesbaden was bombed as well, but not as badly, and Heidelberg had favorable treatment from the allies too, so those two places might be worth a stop if you're looking for towns that show off their historical roots, but generally, you will generally need to look at smaller places.

Why not visit some of these old world towns near Frankfurt and Würzburg - places that did not merit the same levels of destruction, places where centuries of European history are more immediately visible - instead?

Near Frankfurt:

Gelnhausen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtCzNK12U3U

Büdingen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX0yo8dtbEI

Villages and dozens of castles in the Middle Rhine Valley Northwest of Frankfurt (the natural scenery here is wonderful as well, great place for hiking):

Boppard, Oberwesel, Bacharach:

www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

Near Würzburg:

Marktbreit, Sommerhausen, Ochsenfurt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLUgpoQIFHI

Iphofen (photos): stadtbild-deutschland.org/forum/index.php…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks in Germany

Here are some excellent places to visit that are on a possible route between Frankfurt and Munich- tripadvisor.com/…49932873 .

By the way you don't just magically appear in Frankfurt by train from nowhere. Perhaps there are other interesting places in Germany along your route.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks in Germany

Thank you for this comprehensive info! All very helpful

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two weeks in Germany

You can get a train from FRA (airport) station direct to many places without going into Frankfurt itself. Bah. look at bahn.de The airport is between Frankfurt and Mainz; Darmstadt (which has not been mentioned here but is a "must" for fans of art-nouveau architecture) is also near.

Another vote for Gelnhausen and Büdingen if you do base yourself in Frankfurt; quintessentially German without the crowds of tourists you get in places like Heidelberg. Gelnhausen is on the commuter line from Frankfurt (towards Fulda) and there is an hourly rail service from Gelnhausen to Büdingen (the journey is only a few minutes)

If you head into eastern Germany, Erfurt (on the rail line onward from Fulda towards Berlin) is beautiful, and was also hardly touched by war-time-bombing. Dresden is quite a bit further; even further east, on the border with Poland, is Gorlitz, another gem.

But you only have 2 weeks so it's up to you to decide on priorities. Generally speaking the landscape in southern Germany is more impressive, that's where the mountains are. Not yet mentioned on this thread but Berlin & Potsdam are also well-worth a visit.

Are you flying out of Frankfurt home or heading somewhere else in Europe afterwards? That is definitely a factor to take into consideration when planning the itinerary