We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

health insurance requirement for visa to germany

Norwalk, Connecticut
13 posts
Save Topic
health insurance requirement for visa to germany

My wife requires a visa as she is not a US citizen. We are applying through NYC consulate. Please can i get another's experience in the visa application appointment through the NYC consulate, especially the health insurance required. Their website mentions dental insurance (!?!). Can anyone offer their experience. Were they strict? lax? Thanks in advance.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,792 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

Regardless of the visa requirements, you should have health insurance anyway. If your regular policy doesnt civer you outside the US, you can buy a travel medical poicy. We always shop for ours at www.insuremytrip.com

Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

<We are applying through NYC consulate ... health insurance required. ... Were they strict? lax?>

They will be neither strict nor lax. There are standard medical insurance requirements for Schengen visas and your policy must meet them.

They are stated on the German Consulate's own website:

("Confimation letter from your health insurance stating coverage for emergency medical, hospitalisation and repatriation with a minimum of 30,000 Euros ( equiv. 50,000US-$ ) for trips outside the US ... ").

If you don't have an adequate policy already, you can buy one online from various companies.

Here is one example http://www.insubuy.com/schengen-insurance/

(NB: this is an advertisement; I am not recommending this one specifically !)

Edited: 16 March 2014, 09:44
Atlanta, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

A lot of peoples from all around the world visiting Germany frequently. German health care system take care of both German citizens and tourist. If you are seeking for Schengen visa than medical insurance require.

You must meet the following criteria

1. Medical coverage of at least Euro 30,000

2.Must cover emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.

If you want to know more about health insurance, you can visit here http://www.covomo.com/

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

#3 that is wrong, sure the german health care will take care of tourists too, but they have to pay the bill it's not free for them unless they are from a Schengen member state or from a state that has an agreement with the health care system.

USA is not one of them so they would have to pay just like me going to a hospital in the US, an american visiting Finland had to go to the hospital there without insurance and he sure got the bill at home in the US,

he was wondering if he had to pay it because we have social health insurance, but was advised here that he had to, if he never intendent to visit the Schengen area again he might got away with it not paying, otherwise he will be red flagged and the next time he tries to enter has to pay or go back home, not very good for a young man that might get a job where he has to travel.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 14:32
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

We have social insurance but it is not financed by taxes. Contrary to a common opinion healthcare is not free. Everyone with an income above a certain level has to pay a monthly fee for insurance (not wanting to go into details, the topic is complicated...) and this fee is quite a notable percentage of the income. Hence visitors from abroad who do not contribute to our insurance system of course have to pay for the services they receive. If they have travel health insurance they can claim the money back afterwards presenting the bill they got from doctor or hospital.

Norwalk, Connecticut
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

Lots of comments, but unfortunately none by an actual visa applicant as i was hoping for. I have a good UHC / Oxford policy which covers foreign travel and repatriation. I have read the german policy doctrine thoroughly. I just wanted a first hand account of a visa applicant's experience to get a sense of it.

Dental insurance? now really.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
883 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

You haven't stated what your wife's citizenship is nor what type of visa it is you are applying for. Is it a tourist visit or are you planning to stay for an extended time?

That would make a big difference to the answers. If it is a long-term visa then dental insurance would be very sensible.

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

Hey ,

I am planning to get schengen visa (tourist ) from the german consulate here in SF . Did you have to submit train tickets as travel proof if you were planning to visit other schengen countries ?

9. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 18:15
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: health insurance requirement for visa to germany

I am not aware of anyone who had to submit proof of travel between Schengen countries when applying for a visa for a multi Shengen country trip.

You might however be asked to proof that you spend the longest time of your trip in the country for which you apply your visa. I.e. the German consulate could ask you for hotel reservations or information about your planned itinerary.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor