We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

We have 1 1/2 days in Bacharach - the 1/2 day we'll stay local and settle in. The full day, I'm debating on driving up & down the Rhine to see the sights or taking a river cruise ( roundtrip or one way and train back ). Any suggestions?

We have a rental car regardless of which option and it will be a Friday in August.

Thanks!

Edited: 16 March 2014, 19:31
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

This topic, generalized, is exhaustively discussed, every week (!) on Rick Steve's web board:

https:/…germany

Having been there myself, my (OPINION) suggestion would be similar to Rick's (he doesn't post, but see his books in the Library-this route doesn't change from edition to edition). The scenic Rhine boat trip is from Bingen to Bacharach (minimum) or better, Boppard - DOWNSTREAM, or north. Anything else is a poor use of limited time. The car is not helpful for the boat trip, so you use the train which gives a discount on the boat when shown at ticket purchase time. The view of the river from either the train or the car is greatly inferior to that from the boat. I personally found the boats to be too infrequent to use as a "tourist bus", but people do stop and visit the more important castles that are open for touring. I would not take my bags on the boat, but heavily scheduled and budget travelers do. Make sure you have the high or low season boat schedule, whichever is in effect. If you get an early start, you could use the car for another half of the same day. But planning is required to make the best use of limited time. Note that the Moselle Valley is on the other side of the Rhine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

Great insight, thank you! What about taking the boat from Bingen to Braubach - stop to see Marksburg castle then take the train back - Braubach to Rudensheim? Assuming we can get from Rudensheim to Bingen ( where our car will be ) easily.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 21:16
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
6,902 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

Check out the Rhineland-Palatinate section of the TA forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187389-i1477-Rhin…

You will find tons of informations there regarding this topic. You are assuming correctly btw: there's a ferry service between Rüdesheim and Bingen plus several cruise boats crossing the river between the two.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

The cruise to Braubach is fine. Catch the 9:30 boat from Bingen and arrive in Braubach at 12:20 for the 13:00 castle tour in English. After the tour you can take a southbound train to touristy Rüdesheim if you wish (and ferry across to Bingen for the return to Bacharach, both of which are on the opposite river bank from R'heim) but I think a better plan might be to take a train into Koblenz (11 min.) and change there to a southbound train for Bacharach. I'd make a stop in delightful Boppard (cool chairlift ride, half-timbered buildings, river promenade, lots of eateries.)

holidaycheck.com/data/…1157457092.jpg

jazclass.aust.com/blog/photos29/blog273.jpg

Gedeonseck terrace restaurant overlooking river and Boppard not far from the chairlift:

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/b5/ba/30/r…

On your half day you'd be wise to make a 5-min. trip north into Oberwesel, the town with the best preserved old-world structures, including an old town wall with towers.

…germany.travel/media/content/erholung/ferie…

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

(cont.) All the train travel you'll need will be covered by a daypass called the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket - €27 for two:

vrminfo.de/en/…

It's good anytime on Sat or Sun, after 9 am on weekdays - so on weekdays you might want to drive to the dock in Bingen instead to get there for the 9:30 boat in time. Then take the train south past Bacharach to Bingen and fetch the car later that evening.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

Excellent - I was just looking for something to see on the way back to Bacharach. Thank you!

7. Re: 1 Day in the Rhine Valley - drive or river cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 05:18