We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cologne stay

Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
cologne stay

Good afternoon,

My husband and I are trying to decide whether to stay in Cologne for 3 nights or 2 nights in Cologne and 2 nights in Brussels. Will there be enough to do in Cologne for 3 nights. We were thinking of doing a day trip perhaps up to Dusseldorf, then a day looking around Cologne and maybe a day looking around somewhere else.

We will be there around December 21. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

Regards Bells

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
430 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cologne stay

Definitely worth the nights, another day trip well with it is Aachen. My opinion is stay very close to the main station.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cologne stay

Although I heartily agree that Cologne is worth the nights, it really depends on your interests. And you don't indicate whether there is more travel in Belgium planned regardless. I would say that your plan to spend one day touring Cologne is not enough, but it's a matter of taste. As reply 1 notes, both these cities have plenty to do right around the Hauptbahnhof/Centraal stations, and the areas are not seedy as in some other cities. But there are churches, art collections, and museums that require a short subway ride away from the Cologne Hauptbahnhof. Just for example, the wonderful Medieval art musuem, Schnütgen, the very modern Ethnographic Rautenstrauch-Joest, and the Käthe Kollwitz Museum, if you're interested in her work.

Although I (personally, that is) couldn't care less about Christmas Markets, I think Germany is better known for them than Belgium. I'd also observe that Dec 22 is a Monday, and Cologne has slightly more to do on Monday than Brussels.

Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cologne stay

Thank you for your thoughts. I think we will leave it at 3 nights and have another day either exploring Cologne or a day trip somewhere. We can just decide on the day. Thanks again. Regards Bells

4. Re: cologne stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:16