We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around in Germany by train

Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Getting around in Germany by train

Hello,

A friend & I are going to travel around Germany at the end of May and would like some information about the train passes. We would like to know if it's worth or it would be better to pay each ticket. More specifically, we would like to know the best train pass to go through these cities:

Frankfurt-> Koln

Koln-> Dusseldorf

Dusseldorf-> Hambourg

Hambourg->Schwerin

Shwerin-> Berlin

Berlin-> Dresden

Dresden->Munich

Munich->Fussen

Fussen-> Baden-Baden

Baden-Baden-> Frankfurt

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around in Germany by train

Deutsche Bahn has a website with the times, durations and prices. I buy the 25% discount card, buy tickets for specific trains (the prices vary dramatically) and buy well in advance. Someone else will probably tell you exactly how many days in advance it's best to buy. If the duration is longer than 90 minutes and especially when I think students will be traveling I reserve a seat.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around in Germany by train

Rail Europe is currently offering the German Rail pass at a 20% discount if you buy the 10 day version. It works out to $399 US for 10 days of travel (2nd class) within the validity of the pass. To get the deal, you have to buy the pass before April 29 and finish your travel by May 31. At about $40 US per day, that is a very good bargain.

To keep from changing hotels too often, you might consider doing some of the cities as day trips from some of the other cities on your list.

Dusseldorf and Cologne are fairly close together and you might consider staying in one and visiting the other as a day trip. Use a hotel website like www.hrs.com to check hotel rates during your stay. A convention (messe in German) can inflate hotel prices to an uncomfortable degree. You don't want to book a hotel in Cologne during a convention if you can get one in Dusseldorf at a good rate.

I've done Schwerin as a day trip from Hamburg and Dresden as a day trip from Berlin.

3. Re: Getting around in Germany by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 05:16