We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

Belleville, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

Hello! I plan on backpacking Europe with a friend and we've run into some troubles nearing the end! I've especially found that making sure there actually ARE ways to get between cities by train sort of difficult after hours and hours spent online!

So far we have as follows:

Staying in London for five days and then on to Paris for five.

We are going from Paris to Manarola by way of Pisa and La Spezia,

and then back to Pisa and down to Rome where we stay for five days. Plus a day trip down to Pompeii.

From Rome we plan to go to see Predjama Castle (YES this is a MUST DO) by way of train to Ljbuljana (is this a thing?) and then a day trip (guided probably) to see the castle and the Postojna caves.

Then we go from Ljubljana up to see Neuschwanstein.

Here is our problem....we can't for the life of us figure out HOW to get there!!

And after that we need to get to Krakow, we're thinking from Munich? Is that possible?

This is our first time doing this if you hadn't noticed hahaha, and we would REALLY appreciate some help! Thanks so much !

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

Go to http://www.deutschebahn.com/de/start.html, the German rail website. They have complete schedules for (most) all countries. Even other countries' websites use the German rail database.

Keep in mind that some of the places you are talking about are not even "towns" or "villages" with train stations. So, for castles, etc., check to see which train station is nearest. You probably will be taking buses also. However, don't worry! The buses are very comfortable and efficient.

You'll do just fine! Even though you're "virgins".

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

Wow, that's a lot of crisscrossing the continent and not the most economical way of spending your valuable vacation days... Anyway, make bahn.com your friend: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

I believe there's a nighttrain from Ljubljana to Munich. From Munich you can make a daytrip to Füssen to see Neuschwanstein. Getting to Krakow by train from there is another challenge. Flying would probably be the more reasonable option. LOT has nonstop flights from Munich.

Tons of information on train travel in Europe also on this site: http://www.seat61.com/

State College...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

Go to Bahn.com which is the German Rail scheduling website. They provide precise schedules for just about any city pairs along with intermediate stops for all of Europe. Takes a while to learn the system, but it is worth the effort.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 22:46
Belleville, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

Thanks everyone for the replies!! Sorry I'm so late getting back!

The German rail site really helped, and I think we've got our itinerary pretty much set! I'm so excited!!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

"I'm so excited!!"

Your trip does sound exciting overall but I wouldn't waste even half a day or even the $17 admission ticket on visiting Neuschwanstein for a 30-minute tour - even if it were a great tour, and even if N'stein were a real castle, and even if the place weren't crawling with tourists - much less the sort of time and money you are planning to toss at Neuschwanstein. You are turning the 14-hour train ride from Ljubljana to Krakow into a 30-hour journey just to include Füssen on the way if you include it...

Suggest you see Vienna instead.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,597 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

If you want a real castle (I agree with Russ about Neuschwanstein) there are plenty of those - one of the finest is this one http://www.zamky-hrady.cz/2/pernstejn-e.htm which is near Brno tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274714-i1153-k6… and it would be more on your way if going from Ljubljana to Krakow.

How long do you have to do this journey?

The German rail site is OK, but a little user-unfriendly. Try this one instead: www.idos.cz (English bottom right) - it gives exactly the same information but is set out in a way that is easier on the eye.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

Also wondering how much time you have beyond Rome. Also, where are you flying home from? Both those factors would have an effect on the planning.

There are hundreds of castles in all the countries you mention so you could reduce the travelling around and still see lots.

Is Krakow an absolute must too? If not it'd certainly be simpler if you stuck to Munich +/- Vienna and/or the Czech Republic (Prague is SO pretty too, also dominated by a castle)

I use bahn.de loads, it's definitely a lot more user-friendly than the Spanish, Italian and French national railway websites! For Germany it has lots of very useful information on regional travel/sightseeing and the Länder-Tickets are a fantastic way to explore the various regions very cheaply (on regional trains), so eg with a Bayern-Ticket you could visit Bavaria and even Salzburg in Austria

8. Re: Backpacking Europe Itinerary Problems! Help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:16