We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dutch pasport

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dutch pasport

Hi my daughter is staying and working in Dusseldorf. She have her Dutch passport on her everywhere she goes, specially in the evenings and on the trains. I am very scared that she will lose her passport or that someone steal her handbag.

Is a copy of her passport enough to get into a club or identity for on the trains.

Or what else do you suggest?

Thanks

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,311 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dutch pasport

<Is a copy of her passport enough to get into a club or identity for on the trains>

A copy of a passport or any other document is worthless as genuine proof of anything. Anyone with a motive to do so could tamper with it to falsify the information (change name or age, for example).

<Or what else do you suggest?>

I suggest you stop worrying. If she is working in a foreign country, she is obviously adult and should be able to look after herself and her property, and behave in a normal fashion.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dutch pasport

" I am very scared that she will lose her passport or that someone steal her handbag. "

Whenever I am afraid of something, I consider the consequences should that thing actually happen. Usually the fear of something is worse than the actual event. Say someone does steal her passport. What happens? She goes to the nearest embassy and applies for a replacement, right? It is kind of a hassle and may put a damper on her plans for a little while, but when all is said and done, it isn't a huge deal, right?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dutch pasport

Does she not have an NL identity card? I never take my passport out at night, having lived in Amsterdam for many years I know too many people who 'lost' theirs. I would go out with a photocopy, it might not be strictly legal but will probably satisfy the police if asked for some reason. It certainly does in NL

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,607 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dutch pasport

If she has a Dutch identity card she can use this one. Dutch citizens don't need a passport for Germany, the identity card is sufficient.

> to get into a club or identity for on the trains

For this any official photo ID will do. E.g. an European (Dutch) drivers license.

Gelnhausen, Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dutch pasport

If a national of the Netherlands (or any other EU citizen) gets his / her passport or ID card stolen in Germany (or any other EU member state), there is no need to go to the embassy. In case this theft will happen - which I definitely hope NOT to occur - she should only go to next police station, declare that her ID card / passport was stolen and fill in the respective form (name, home address, date and place of birth) and sign it. The police will countersign and date-stamp the form. That's sufficient for EU citizens to cross all borders within the Schengen area. As Düsseldorf is quite close to the Dutch border, your daughter will probably cross the border either by train or by car - no border controls at all. As to clubs, see Albalada's notes.

EU citizens may even fly from one Eu country to another one with said theft form! This happened to my partner last year: we are both nationals of Germany, and his wallet with all his documents got stolen in Naples. To our luck, we intended to spent some time in Rome afterwards and only wanted to fly home one week after the theft. So, he got the theft declaration from the Naples police, and went we to Rome afterwards, The German embassy was not at all interested. They advised us to call our airline (here: Lufthansa) and inform them beforehand that a German national wishes to fly home without an ID card or passport. Lufthansa registered the case immediately. One week later, at Fiumicino airport in Rome, the clerk at the Lufthansa check-in desk had obviously been informed. My partner just had to declare that he was a national of Germany who wished to fly home, and I confirmed this (both only orally, but I was able to show my ID when checking in). Please be aware that almost all EU countries (except the UK, but definetely Germany and the Netherlands) have registry offices, and all people living in these countries are obliged to register with their local registry office. Thus, it was easy for the authorities to check whether my partner really exists. The same would apply for your daughter as she is an NL citizen and has a place of residence in an EU member state. It might be a bit more difficult if the theft occurs only a few hours before the scheduled flight, but in general, crossing EU borders is no problem for EU citizens. Getting a new ID card or passport is not difficult, either. It's much more legwork to get a stolen driving license or medical insurance card back, I can tell you from my partner's experience.

BTW: I scanned my ID card and passport as high resolution colour pdf files and sent said files to my own e-mail address. Thus, I have access to the pdf files from any internet account of the world. Did not need it yet, but it may (!) help providing evidence that I exist... Furthermore, one can save said pdf files on an USB stick.

6. Re: Dutch pasport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16