We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hour transit in Cologne or Hamburg.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
39 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
4 hour transit in Cologne or Hamburg.

I'm booking my air ticket from Prague to London and the cheapest airfare I could found was by German wings which includes a 4 hr transit in either Cologne or Hamburg. Where will be a better place to transit and will I be able to head out to town for abt 1-2 hrs during the transit to take a look ?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hour transit in Cologne or Hamburg.

Cologne airport is terrible. They are playing muzak everywhere, and I really mean everywhere. It starts in the car park already. And there's not one place where you can escape from it.

And transfer to Cologne city is by bus only.

I haven't been to Hamburg airport in a really long time, but for me, it would be Hamburg.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hour transit in Cologne or Hamburg.

Cologne Airport has a train station since 2004.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Bonn_Airport_station

The trains (you can use either regional or S-Bahn trains) get you in 15 min straight to Köln Hbf (main train station) which is right next to Cologne Cathedral. Germany's most visited sight. Single ticket trains is EUR 2,80.

…flickr.com/36/80000466_1ea76ec6b5_o.jpg

www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=19167&L=1

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,719 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hour transit in Cologne or Hamburg.

One airport is 15 min by train from the city center, the other is 20 min away. The frequency of service is similar. Cologne center is a bit more compact and more "optical" (more single landmark buildings) while Hamburg is more about general atmosphere.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
39 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hour transit in Cologne or Hamburg.

Thanks for all the advice .... Really appreciate the help provided !!! ^^

5. Re: 4 hour transit in Cologne or Hamburg.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:15