We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

I plan to take train from Frankfurt Hbf to Cologne Hbf to see the world famous Cologne Cathedral. The round trip ticket only costs 38 euro. However, I have to change the train at Mainz Hbf. The transfer time is only 5 minutes and I have to rush from one plateform to another plateform at Mainz Hbf. I wonder if I can make this transfer. What if the train arrives a few minutes late. Anybody had this transfer experience?

Edited: 02 May 2014, 21:29
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

Can you tell us your departure times in Mainz and Cologne? To give advice one would need to know the train types involved and the platform numbers.

But generally the DB timetable gives only reasonable connections knowing the layout of the different train stations.

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

Hi,

I am just assuming that you are going to take the 8:42 train from Frankfurt Central. In this case you should be safe. You change from IC to IC, i.e. same category and hence they wait for each other for some minutes. Also you only need to cross the platform at Mainz.

Sadly there is always a certain likelihood that you miss the connecting train. But in this case you can just hop on the next train in your direction (the best is to contact the information counter at the station).

Make sure you sit on the right hand side of the train towards Cologne. Also don't forget to climb up the tower of the Cathedral.

Holger

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

If the transfer time is only 5 minutes, I assume that your new train will be on the same platform, directly opposite your old train. (Otherwise, the DB website wouldn't give you this connection time at all.) ... Often, the new train will even wait for a couple of minutes if your old train is delayed.

And if your old train is delayed by more than a couple of minutes, you'll miss your new train, but since this is not your fault, you now have the official permission to use any other train in that direction. (Make sure that you paid for the supplements, though - EC-Zuschlag, ICE-Zuschlag). ... Ask a conducter, or the staff at the information booth, to confirm that the first train was delayed and, if necessary, to find a new connection for you.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 07:33
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

and make sure you are already at the door when the train enters the station so you can jump off immediately

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

From Frankfurt to Mainz, I would just take an earlier S-bahn so you aren't stressing about the time. There are frequent S-bahns going there.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

Hi Holger B. Thank you for your help. I will follow your advices.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 20:03
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

Hi Petra F. The new train is NOT at the same platform. Here is the schedule.

8:42 Plateform 5 Frankfurt Hbf.

9:15 Plateform 2 Mainz Hbf

9:20 Plateform 3 Mainz Hbf

11:05 Plateform 5 Cologne Hbf

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

track 2 is on one side of the platform and track 3 on the other.

Do you need 5 minutes to walk less than 10 meters?

Edited: 03 May 2014, 20:13
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

"Platform" is not the same thing as "track" which would be the correct translation for the German word "Gleis". As Quiltneedle says: tracks 2 and 3 are on the same platform at Mainz Hauptbahnhof. Easy transfer.

10. Re: Is this 5 minutes transfer time enough ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16