We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Topic
Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

So I've been chosen for a one month scholarship to study German in a Goethe Institut of my choice in Germany! I've already been to Hamburg and Bremen so I've ruled those cities out and now I have to choose between Berlin, Munich, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Freiburg, Bonn and Schwäbisch Hall. I'm currently studying architecture so I'd appreciate some historical buildings and green surroundings. I'm not that into partying and going out so I don't care about nightlife. Also this will bet first time alone abroad for such a long time! Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

queeni, you seem to be forgeting Potsdam which has some rather special architecture and is only 40 mins from Berlin . There are also a number of other large an inpressive buildings in and around the city.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

Well, in Düsseldorf and Bonn, you'll probably hear more standard German. I'm not sure about Bonn, but Düsseldorf is not that interesting where the architecture is concerned.

Both Berlin and Bavaria have strong dialects. I've found that in Munich itself, more people speak standard German, but if you go to the countryside, you'll certainly meet someone sooner or later who speaks Bavarian or at least has a Bavarian accent. However, everyone speaks standard German as a second language, and people will switch to standard German if they realize you don't understand Bavarian. It's funny because when they do, it's a bit as if they were speaking a foreign language, so you're on the same ground. ;-)

In Munich, there's not that much special architecture, except for the Olympic stadium, but you could do day trips to Nürnberg or another town in the Franconian Switzerland where you'll see half-timbered houses, and of course to one or more of the little towns near the Alps which have a style of architecture of their own (wooden balconies).

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,065 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

It is impossible to mention everywhere one can go, from others places. I personally prefer Munich and all the possibilities the city offers. The Romantic Road affords visits to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber and Dinkelsbuhl. Also Oberamergau if she goes to Fussen.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

I appreciate everyone's replies, you are all very helpful! I'm seriously considering Berlin, since, from what I've understood, it's quite a diverse city. I'm really attracted to the museums and cultural spots. Does it have a historical centre like most of the rest of German cities where I could find older architecture as well? I'm from

Greece so I'm really looking for that west-European city feeling, if you know what I mean. Oh and by the way I'll be there in August.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,065 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

Good luck to you, wherever you go. Great opportunity.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

For the most part the more historic buildings inBerlin are in the Western center, the Eastern side was more heavily damaged in the war and now has lots of new buildings. Between the two the is a large park, the Tiergarten. There are a number of palaces in and around Berlin and Potsdam (Sans Souci) is 30-40 mins away.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

>>>Does it have a historical centre like most of the rest of German cities where I could find older architecture as well?<<<

Berlin doesn't have a real centre, it has many since the city is so spread out. The centre of the old west, around Kurfürstendamm, is a mix of 19th architecture and newer buildings, the centre of the old east, Alexanderplatz, is Commie architecture mixed with modern architecture from the 1930s. There are quasi-independent towns like Spandau and Köpenick, which offer partly preserved old towns with castles, and even some villages with village greens. But no, Berlin can't offer a real, compact centre with centuries-old buildings. For this you have to travel a bit. Either to Potsdam, which offers a typical Prussian, partly preserved old town of the 18th century, to Brandenburg an der Havel, which is a rural town with very valuable churches, or to WIttenberg, where the Protestant Reformation started.

In terms of museums and cultural spots you can't find a better place in Germany. And what's also very nice about Berlin is that it is very green, especially if you include Potsdam, which is surrounded by royal gardens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

So... I shouldn't have got too excited since it turns out there are open spots only in Schwabisch Hall and Bonn (which I forgot to mention above...). Any advice? I would choose Schwabisch Hall but I'm afraid I won't have many things to do there. Bonn is close to Koln and Dusseldorf and has the Rhein and many castles worth paying a visit. Anyone evere been there? Is it as pretty as it looks? Thanks again and sorry for being too tiresome... :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,845 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

For a larger city, Schwaebisch Hall is 1.5 hours from Stuttgart which has lots of things to see and do. Have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 .

For architecture, Stuttgart has an excellent book on architecture there, free or only a euro from the tourist information office, much better than the others ones for 20 to 30 times the price. It hosts the world's first modern TV tower, Weißenhofsiedlung- homes designed by internationally famous architects for a 1927 international architectural exhibition, the acclaimed train station (the new one under construction is part of Stuttgart 21- Europe's largest construction project, and they have periodic tours of the works), the Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums which are excellent not only for their automobile content but their architecture, etc.

Schwaebisch Hall is on the Castle Route, so there are many castles nearby including unique walled fortified (Gross)comburg Monastery (in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de ) a few kilometers away, actually a large medieval church and monastery within a large medieval castle. It is also close to the Romantic Road (Rothenburg ob der Tauber is nearby) as well as plenty of other excellent sights.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Help me choose a destination for my scholarship?

Thanks for your reply! But I don't think I'll be able to travel around that much and so far since I'll only rent a bike and have only my weekends free (I'll have a class on weekday mornings...) I needed something closer to my main accommodation.