We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

Hi all,

how can I get a "konus card? Can the konus card be used at the places that I'm going?

my route is roughly

Day 1: Freiburg > Todtrau > Feldberg > Freiburg

Day 2: Freiburg cathedral > titisee > triberg

Day 3: Triberg > triberg waterfall > gengenbach

any advice for what buses/trains to take when going to these places?

thank you!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

The destinations you name can be reached using the KONUS card.

The innkeeper or hotel manager will give you the Konus card after you fill out your personal information on a form.

You cannot get the Konus card if you stay in Freiburg.

If you want a Konus card on Day 1, stay in nearby Kirchzarten instead. Your card will be valid after you check in and on Day 2. There are direct trains from Kirchzarten to Freiburg.

On Day 2 I suggest you stay either in Gengenbach, Triberg, or another participating KONUS town on the Black Forest railway for 2 nights. It is easy to visit the other towns from any town in this area. You will receive a new KONUS card from your new hosts - it will be valid within the Black Forest through Day 3 and Day 4 (the day you check out.)

Find bus and train schedules here:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Konus information:

www.dreisamtal.de/en/service/konus.php…

Edited: 21 May 2014, 19:02
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

hi,

thanks for the reply! i am a little confused.

Does it mean trains that depart from Freiburg will not be able to use even if the destination are places that are participating in Konus?

meaning if i depart from Kirchzarten to Freiburg, it will be free?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

do you know how much would it cost if i were to travel from freiburg?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

hi russ,

because we are students and are looking for budget accomodation. and we thought of getting airbnb in freiburg as there is no airbnb apartment in kirchzarten. and the hotels in kirchzaten are quite expensive.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

"Does it mean trains that depart from Freiburg will not be able to use even if the destination are places that are participating in Konus?"

NO. If you have a KONUS card, you can travel from ANY city within the area of validity to any other city in the area.

dreisamtal.de/media/service/konuskarte.pdf

"do you know how much would it cost if i were to travel from freiburg?"

You can travel to/from Freiburg with a KONUS card. But you cannot get a KONUS card if you STAY in Freiburg at your air b n b apartment or anywhere else in Freibrg. Freiburg does not offer the KONUS card. If you decide to stay there anyway, you will have to pay for your transportation. You might look into the Baden-Württemberg ticket in this case.

bahn.com/i/…baden-wuerttemberg-ticket.shtml

There are dozens and dozens of apartments all over the Black forest in 140 different KONUS towns. If you can't find what you want in Kirchzarten, stay in another KONUS town. Hinterzarten and Titisee also offer the KONUS card. This flyer lists all participating KONUS towns on page 2.

www.camping-muenstertal.de/en/konus-flyer.pdf

Air bnb is not the only way to rent an apartment. Local tourist offices have very complete lists of local apartment rentals. Check the Kirchzarten tourist office webpage:

dreisamtal.de/en/…

This tourist office website lists apartments all over the Black Forest:

www.blackforest-tourism.com/stg/ukv/search…

I have previously stayed in Löffingen, another KONUS town east of Titisee, at one of Frau Liebermann's very inexpensive apartments. You can day trip from there to Titisee and Freiburg, and also to Triberg and Gengenbach with the KONUS card. It looks like she has remodeled her place recently:

bensbauernhof.com/hausliebermannloeffingen.h…

www.blackforest-tourism.com/stg/ukv/result…

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

The town websites list a great many apartments (ferienwohnung or fewo for short) that are excellent values. I stayed in an fewo in a 1699 building right on the town square in Gengenbach for 40 euro for the two of us. Most fewos are a similar amount for the first two and then a much less expensive charge for additional people. A student group of more than two could therefore stay cheaper than a hostel.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,380 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

If staying in Freiburg (= no KONUS guest card):

For your itinerary on day 1 you can use a RVF REGIO24 ticket for the entire RVF network. EUR 21 for 2-5 persons traveling together.

http://www.rvf.de/PDF/REGIO24.pdf

For day 2 you will need the already mentioned Baden-Württemberg Ticket.

For day 3 you'll have a KONUS guest card no matter if you stay in Triberg or Gengenbach.

Don't miss the Vogtsbauernhof Black Forest Open Air Museum which is between Triberg and Gengenbach.

http://en.vogtsbauernhof.de/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

Hi all! thank you so much! after your advices, i tried to refine the location a little. Would still need all of your advice. we are a pair of students. we have 2 plans for now. WOuld need your advice on which is recommended.

Also can the konus card be given if we stay at the hotel for 1 night only? how long will the a konus card last?

Plan 1

arrives at freiburg from stuttgart

1st Night: Freiburg

(next morning) Day 1: Freiburg> Todtnau>Feldburg> Freiburg

2nd Night: Freiburg

day 2: freiburg cathedral/ Munsterplatz> lake titisee> triberg

3rd Night: Triberg

day 3: triberg waterfall> gengenbach

4th night : gengenbach

day 4: return to berlin.

PLAN 2

arrives at freiburg from stuttgart

1st Night: Freiburg

(next morning) Day 1: Freiburg cathedral/ Munsterplatz > Todtnau

2nd Night: Todtnau

day 2: todtnau> felberg> titisee> triberg

3rd Night: Triberg

day 3: triberg waterfall> gengenbach

4th night : gengenbach

day 4: return to berlin.

9. Re: Freiburg, Triberg, Gengenbach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:16