We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German stopover

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
German stopover

My husband and I are travelling from Amsterdam to Copenhagen by rail in August . We would like to stop over for two nights to experience a little German culture. We have never been to Germany before. One town suggested was Bremen, any other suggestions?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: German stopover

Hamburg is the logical city for your itinerary.

Also, consider Lubeck --- very nice and smaller.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: German stopover

Oh, I wanted to write the same thing. Hamburg and Lübeck.

You can research your train connection on www.bahn.de (although I'm not sure you can buy your ticket there, since both the start and end points of your journey are outside of Germany). And you can have the details of your trip displayed, and in the next step, you can have all intermediate stops displayed. This is very convenient if you'd like to stop "somewhere", but don't know yet where.

How about your luggage? Maybe you could visit all three cities, Bremen, Hamburg and Lübeck. You don't have to stay overnight there. You could lock your luggage at the station for a couple of hours, if it's not too large. What I'd do: Go to Bremen in the morning, lock your luggage at the station, proceed to Hamburg after a few hours, spend one or two nights there. Then, go to Lübeck the next morning, lock your luggage at the station, do your sightseeing, and proceed to Kopenhagen in the evening.

When in Lübeck, don't forget to see the Holstentor. This is really famous because it used to be on the 50 DM bill.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: German stopover

And let us not forget about marzipan! Lubeck is famous for it!!!!

4. Re: German stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:16