We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with itinerary

Hi all,

My husband and I will be in Germany between 26th August and 11th September this year as part of a larger trip to Europe and UK. I'm starting to get my head around what we plan to see and do, however I think I'm just getting myself more and more confused on how to spend our time.

Our basic itinerary is as follows, but I would welcome any comments or other suggestions.

Our interests are the landscapes (Alps, wine regions etc), exploring smaller villages, local arts and crafts, photography, local foods, castles etc. But not really into museums or churches.

26th August - Land in Frankfurt in the morning. Spend two nights in Frankfurt (recover from any jet lag and explore the city). Accommodation is booked.

27th August - Frankfurt.

28th August - Pick up hire car, drive to Bamberg for two nights. Accommodation for Bamberg is booked.

29th August - Bamberg.

30th August - ?

31st August - Salzburg

1st Sept - Salzburg

2nd Sept - ? I was thinking somewhere along the Alpine Route maybe.

3rd Sept - ?

4th Sept - Innsbruck.

5th Sept - innsbruck.

6th Sept - Lake Constance region (Lindau?).

7th Sept - Lake Constance region (Lindau?).

8th Sept - Black Forest Region (Baden Baden?).

9th Sept - Rhine region.

10th Sept - Rhine region.

11th Sept - Return rental car to Frankfurt.

One of the questions I've asked myself is should we skip Lindau to spend more time in the Black Forest or Rhine area?

We don't want our trip to be rushed and be constantly on the go. We want to be able to take our time driving between one place and the next to stop and take in any sights.

Thankyou!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with itinerary

Well, there are no castles yet. I think Herrenchiemsee and Frauenchiemsee are good, as they are not quite as crowded as Neuschwanstein. They are on lake Chiemsee, to the south-east of Munich.

By the way, why is Munich missing from your list? Not interested? You could fit it on on August 30. If you are MJ-fans, go there in the evening of August 29 and visit the MJ memorial in front of Bayerischer Hof hotel, since it's MJ's birthday, there will be a lot of fans. (It is my understanding that you are leaving Bamberg on the 29th).

Natural beauty: Google for pictures of "Partnachklamm", this is in Garmisch-Partenkirchen to the south-west of Munich. You can go hiking there for a nominal fee (the last time I was there, it was EUR 2), and when there has been too much rain, they close it for safety reasons, so make sure it's open before you go there.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with itinerary

Re castles/palaces: the Residenz in Munich is very impressive.

btw: Castle as in fortified normally medieval structure = Burg in German (the hymn "Ein' feste Burg ist unser Gott" has an English version "A safe stronghold our God is still") while Schloss is normally translated as Palace but is more generally an aristocratic/noble/royal residence. Neuschwanstein, mad Ludwig's "castle" is Schloss Neuschwanstein for example

There are lots of castles on the Middle Rhine, between Mainz and Koblenz,I would say you get better views from the train or from the river than driving

Edited: 09 June 2014, 07:45
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with itinerary

Imho the German Alpine Road would fit your interests perfectly. http://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home/ You could drive it all the way from Lake Königssee (not far from Salzburg) to Lake Constance. I'd prefer that route over driving via Innsbruck which I'd scratch off the list in favor of e.g. Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Mittenwald.

Good idea to allow more time for the Black Forest, one night is too short. But I recommend staying not in Baden-Baden but rather in a smaller town like Gengenbach.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with itinerary

I'd drop Innsbruck and add it to the Black Forest, staying in Gengenbach rather than Baden Baden

Singapore
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with itinerary

Hi gcnicho,

Nice to hear you and husband will be heading to Germany soon! It is a place that brings back lots of memories for our family too. :)

We have tried to sum up our itinerary and experiences while we were in Europe (including Germany of course), so perhaps this writeup of ours may help:

travelsnapstories.com/2013/…

Take care and have fun planning for the trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with itinerary

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help. I have some great ideas to work with.

It seems like Innsbruck is the suggested place to drop from the itinerary..... would this be only because it is a bit too much of a detour from the Alpine Route?

Petra, We leave Bamberg on 30th August and so will make Munich our stop for that night before heading to Salzburg. This may be a very dumb question, but what is MJ?

Wavesurfer, your trip looks amazing and I'll certainly get some good points out of your writeup - thanks!

7. Re: Please help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:17