We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

Hi all - planning a 16-day trip to Germany for my bf and I, end of Sept/early Oct. Hoping for all of our thoughts on this itinerary I have come up with. All thoughts / criticisms welcome! Note: we have to be in Munich Oct 2nd-3rd as we have a hotel booked for Oktoberfest. That's the only thing in stone.

Any re-arranging ideas to make this 'smoother' or more 'efficient' would be super helpful! I don't know if this sequence makes good sense. Thanks in advance!

Day 1 - Arrive Frankfurt by plane, spend day/overnight

Day 2 - Train to Cologne, overnight Cologne

Day 3 - Train to Frankfurt, pick up rental car, begin Romantic Road tour, Wurzberf afternoon, drive to Roth ob d T for overnight

Day 4 - Roth ob de T, Augsburg, then travel to Fussen for evening/overnight

Day 5 - Fussen all day, overnight

Day 6 - Train to Munich, all day Munich, stay overnight

Day 7 - Munich for 1/2 day, Train to Baden-Baden stay overnight

Day 8 - Baden-Baden and area all day and overnight

Day 9 - Travel to Bacharach area (near Koblenz) to tour Rhine Valley area

Day 10 - Rhine Valley area, river cruise, castle looking, overnight Bacharach

Day 11 - Travel to Dresden some time today, evening and overnight Dresden

Day 12 - Part day Dresden, travel to Berlin

Day 13-end - Berlin, with side trip to Potsdam

Fly into Frankfurt, out of Berlin - open to all suggestions!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

I would not travel to Cologne from Frankurt for one night, then on Day 9 travel north of Frankfurt again to visit the Middle Rhine Valley (Bacharach.) On Day 2, or on Day 1 for that matter, just take the train from FRA to Würzburg - you can pick up a car there when you move on along the RR - and make a day trip from the Rhine Valley to Cologne later on.

Also, I would completely reconsider the idea of the car. On Day 4, you are seeing Rothenburg the first half of the day - then spending the 2nd half of the day getting to Füssen on the Romantic Road, which is 5 hours of driving - that leaves you almost no time to really explore any of the RR towns at all, which is the only reason to take this route - it is not particularly scenic. Since it is easy to get to Rothenburg by train in the first place, you would be shelling out some good rental car money just for this 5 hour drive between R'burg and Füssen.

If you take the train instead, you'll get to Füssen just as fast, and it will cost you only €27 with the Bavaria Ticket.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

Unless you are going to a spa, I would opt for a smaller Black Forest town ( I love Gengenbach) than Baden- Baden. Staying in most BF towns ( not B-B ), transportation is included with your hotel.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

I believe you are trying to do too much for two weeks. After your stay in Munich you should either do Dresden and Berlin or the Black Forest and the Rhineland.

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

Thank you very much. Based on your suggestion, I am now going directly to Wurzburg on Day 1 afternoon, and beginning our Romantic Road journey from there. We were not overly interested in Frankfurt personally, so spending just a few hours there is fine. This adds an extra day to our Rhine Valley later on, so a day trip to Cologne somewhere in Day 9-11 is possible - I see what you mean and this makes more logical sense!!! Thanks!!!

In your opinions, is it still as interesting and in our case 'efficient' to use the train to do the Romantic Road from Wurzburg - Roth ob der T - Augsburg - then Fussen? Perhaps the driving, given that we only have 4 full days, isn't critical or possible??? If train is better for our trip we are ok with that. We just saw some recommendations to make this leg a 'car trip'..... thanks again!

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

My bf also thought the same so thank you! Its hard to know when you haven't been before time/travel distance. Berlin is very critical to us, but based on your suggestion and our priorities, I have dropped Dresden, in favour of more Rhine Valley time and more breathing room in the itinerary. Any other thoughts are welcome...

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

We may do the baths? but no spa as of yet... so I will look into that town most definitely. Good to know that that 'area' is fairly doable, that you don't need to stay right in Baden-Baden... thanks!

7. Re: Itinerary help for 16-day trip Germany only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:16