We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days in Germany using Rail

Adelaide
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
14 days in Germany using Rail

My husband and I have 14 days to spend travelling around Germany preferably using rail (as we find this the most convienient). We will be leaving the Hague on the 1st of October and need to fly out of Hamburg on the 15th of October back to Australia. I would like to see old towns, castles, the black forest and the historic areas of Berlin. My husband's only must do is the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. I thought about dividing time up between Stuttgart, Munich, Berlin and Hamburg but then realised that it will be Oktoberfest and that it may be too busy in Munich (and we are not interested in beer). We are both mid 50's and fit, happy to walk or hike. Money is not a real issue and we are happy to do day tours. I am looking for suggestions and some general guidance please.

Atlanta Georgia
Level Contributor
71 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 days in Germany using Rail

You want to do a lot in 12 days, but it can be done. Here is how I would do that trip.

10/1 Take train from Hague to Sankt Goar

10/2 tour castle in Sankt Goar

10/2 take river boat cruise down the rhine get off in bacharach.

10/2 sleep Bacharach

10/3 train to Stuttgart

10/3 tour museum

10/3 sleep Stuttgart

10/4 train to Freiburg

10/5 do massages or whatever in the black forest

10/6 do black forest stuff

10/7 train to munich. You will be on train most of the day

10/8-1/10 munich

10/11 Rothenburg

10/12 train to berlin

10/13 belin

10/14 train to hamburg

done it all. I would bet a 10 trip Benelux/German Eurail pass it will save money.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 days in Germany using Rail

For things to see and do in and around Stuttgart, have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 . The Porsche Museum is excellent, but the Mercedes Museum is even better. Perhaps your husband would like to tour the Porsche assembly plant? Be aware that the world's second largest beer festival, Cannstatter Volksfest ( www.cannstatter-volksfest.de ; www.wasen.de ) takes place starting and ending a week after Munich's Oktoberfest. However, with a very few exceptions near the fairgrounds, most hotels only moderately increase their prices at this time instead of Munich's doubling or tripling theirs. It's an excellent opportunity to attend a beer festival which will have almost all locals instead of the many foreign visitors at Munich's.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 days in Germany using Rail

Thank you, Twinkles for all this information. Sankt Goar looks fantastic. Is there a direct rail that goes to there or do I need to go to a city close by and catch a smaller regional train?

Edited: 17 June 2014, 01:10
Germany
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 days in Germany using Rail

Forget Munich during Oktoberfest unless you want to join it. It is crowded and very very expensive.

Of course Rothenburg and other famous "old" cities are beautiful but probably also crowded with tourists.

When you go to Stuttgart and the Black Forrest area keep in mind that you are directly at the French German border. Think about Freiburg as a basis and from there day trips to the Black Forest or the Elsass (France) with beautiful old cities.

Berlin is not a very beautiful city and has not much "old" or "historic" buildings. But anyway a nice sport for culture, agility and art. The most popular city in Germany is probably Hamburg with a huge port, lakes, rivers and plenty of green.

Have fun !

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 days in Germany using Rail

Train schedules:

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/

Boat schedules:

https://www.k-d.com/en/home/

St. Goar and Bacharach are only 10 minutes from each other by train. Accomodation may be hard to find because there is a wine fest in Boppard and a long weekend with October 3rd a national holiday.

The Munich Oktoberfest ends on October 5th.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 days in Germany using Rail

Thank you all for this information, it has been very helpful.

7. Re: 14 days in Germany using Rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:16