We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

First off, I've tried searching this but couldn't find anything. If I missed the answer already I apologize.

From my research, I thought there should be a CNL train from Amsterdam to Munich, specifically CNL 419.

However, when I try to book, all I can find are ICE trains that run overnight. Many of these have frequent train changes or prolonged stops. Not exactly a great overnight experience.

Any help on booking a CNL train from Amsterdam to Munich would be much appreciated.

FYI my plan is to leave Amsterdam 9/19 and arrive in Munich 9/20

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

http://www.ns.nl/reisplanner-v2/index.shtml did you check here?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

I did. And all the options have 1-2 stop over.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

If you e.g. look on the CNL facebook site or bahn.de you will see that that particular night train only seems to run between Munich and Koblenz.

That has something to do with some technical issues of these trains and some changes made in the Netherlands which trains can operate and which not in that country.

Reading comments on Facebook from the CNL team they usually reply that a decision is still outstanding from the Dutch side whether an approval will be given to at least operate these trains till end of year or not. Till then no clear answer can be given.

It may run or may not run all the way till Amsterdam then.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

Hmmmm. Thanks for the information and research. I'll have to consider other options.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

When I entered Amsterdam - Munich in the above link there was a CNL leaving Amsterdam around 9 pm without stopps.

Maybe just take an earlier train to Koblenz and then the CNL from there?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

It work until you put in a date for late August/September. I just got an email back from bahn.com saying there is construction going on in the dutch rail and they don't know for sure when it will be done.

They asked for me to be patient, but all my plans were made around this night train (reservations in Amsterdam and Munich for Oktoberfest) so I'll just figure something else out. Maybe a one night stopover in Cologne or something.

Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

I too am looking for an overnight train from Amsterdam to Munich with 0 stops. Specifically for Oct 02 departure. Can someone send me or post the website for me to book it?

Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Amsterdam Centraal

Destination: München Hbf

CNL 419 dep 20:31 arr 07:10

current notes: runs daily, not 13., 14. Sep

Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

Thank you Abalada... I am travelling with my wife and another couple. Do you recommend a 4 person cabin for sleeping or a seperate 2 person sleeping cabin?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,538 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight train Amsterdam to Munich

citynightline.de/citynightline/view/en/servi…

4 person cabin = will be normally a couchette

Couchette means less comfort but it costs also considerably less. If you want a sleeper you have to go for 2 double cabins.

On the comfortline sleepers it is also possible to open the wall between a pair of economy sleeper cabins. But this is more of interest for a family than for 2 couples I guess.

citynightline.de/citynightline/view/mdb/city…

Technical:

4 berth couchette = 6 berth cabin with 2 berths unused (not folded down)

double sleeper = 3 bed cabin with 1 bed unused (not folded down)