We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

PA
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

I have been trying for over an hour to book a train and I start in English and halfway through the booking it switches to German. I booked a couple of other trains on the site and it remained in English all the way through. I don't know what changed. I tried 3 different browsers and even though I start in English once I pick the train and the fare it switches to German and I cannot guess what it says in order to continue.

Any suggestions? I have tried clearing my cache too.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

I have no idea what exactly caused the problem. However, on the Deutsche Bahn start page you can either choose a country (like "USA") or select "in English". Maybe worth a try to change this setting.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

The same thing happened when I booked a dB ticket. I just used used Google translate.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

I assume this is a software error. ... Once, they listed all the stations that existed in a certain place by mistake, instead of the central station. (I wanted "Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof", and they listed ALL stations in Düsseldorf, starting with "Düsseldorf Angermund" and it took me forever to find the central station.)

I'd either use google translate, or try it again tomorrow.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 10:20
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

Have a look to the URLs. The timetable (HAFAS software) runs under following server / address

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

when starting the booking process the system switches to a different server. No with the secure https:// instead of http://

https:/… ...

Part of this URL is the variable "lang". If you see there lang=de you can just change it to lang=en, press the Enter button to load the page again and proceed in English.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

Second link without the https:// in parts

Server

fahrkarten.bahn.de

Path

/privatkunde/bahnbuchen/hafas.post

Variables

?ld=96243&lang=en&order=yes...

Edited: 30 June 2014, 11:08
PA
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I tried changing DE to EN but it then becomes a page entitled

"Page Not Valid" so you can't change it in the middle of the booking.

I tried the German in English option, also USA and even Ireland but they all switch to German.

I even tried the Spanish and that switches as well.

I am even a registered user and thought that would work if I logged in first but it still switches language.

If it's a software problem, it must be the railway's.

I would book on the Austria site but I can get a discount on bahn.com.

Any other suggestions? I will use Google Translate but there's a lot of fine print when you get to the payment page.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

Just post the fine print here, so someone can have a look at it. And let bahn.de know that there is this error. Click on "Kontakt" on the German website (top, left), then choose "Lob & Kritik" (towards the bottom), then either "Fernverkehr" or "Nahverkehr". Just write them your problem in English. Someone should do something about it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

I use Chrome browser, and have the "Auto-Translate" turned on.

It translate all pages to English, and it works very well.

PA
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it only translated the first page in German and then it didn't work anymore. But I found a solution which I am posting separately.

PA
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DB Bahn website - switches from English to German

I found a great solution - Raildude. I just stumbled upon it and it is a partner of DB Bahn so it goes right to the DB Bahn railsite but remained in English the whole time. No extra costs so thank you Raildude.