We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europa-Spezial ticket with S-Bahn connection

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Europa-Spezial ticket with S-Bahn connection

Hi,

Hoping someone clarify a couple of points with the Europa-Spezial fares for me please.

1) If the booking includes an S-Bahn connection, must you take that exact S-Bahn service, or could you take an earlier one?

E.g. I'll be travelling from Frankfurt to Stuttgart with a 6 hour stopover at Sinsheim Museum/Arena. This involves a lengthy backtrack to Heidelberg via S-Bahn. If I finish at the museum early I would like to head back to Heidelberg on an earlier service and layover there rather than Sinsheim. Is that possible?

2) If a connection is missed through a late running service (and no fault of my own), do I still forfeit the fare? Some of the suggested connections are very tight!

I've ordered our Probe-Bahncard25s - now just waiting for the magic 90-odd day countdown to roll around to purchase the tickets.

Thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europa-Spezial ticket with S-Bahn connection

1) the limitation only applies to long distance trains -you can tae earlier or later regional trains or S-Bahn all you want.

2) you need to get the conductor on the delayed train to confirm in writing that the connection was missed, then you can use the next train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Europa-Spezial ticket with S-Bahn connection

Thanks Altamiro - that's a real weight off.

I see you're from Baden-Württemberg - is Heidelberg > Sinsheim > Heidelberg the best option to visit the Technik Museum while travelling Frankfurt to Stuttgart, or is there another more direct way? I always feel backtracking is such a waste!

Vielen Dank.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europa-Spezial ticket with S-Bahn connection

Heidelberg -Sinsheim - Heilbronn - Stuttgart makes much more sense IMO

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Europa-Spezial ticket with S-Bahn connection

With the DB 2014/2015 timetable now released (I was far too excited when I saw it!) I'm wondering how I go about booking to go from Sinsheim - Stuttgart via Heilbronn, or specifically Eppingen (home of the Pfeifferturm - my surname is Pfeiffer)?

If I enter Frankfurt(MAIN) to Stuttgart Hbf with stopovers in Sinsheim Museum/Arena and Eppingen it keeps taking me from Eppingen back to Heidelberg for an IC connection to Stuttgart. Surely that's going to take considerably longer than the SBahn to Heilbronn (or even Karlsruhe) then on to Stuttgart?

Would I be best served buying my ticket to Sinsheim Museum/Arena (or even Heidelberg) then getting a Baden-Württemberg regional ticket to cover the local trains to Stuttgart?

Keen to jump on the cheap fares as quickly as possible!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Europa-Spezial ticket with S-Bahn connection

The S4 Eppingen to Heilbronn operated by AVG is not yet in the 2015 timetable. Just wait a bit. Than "Frankfurt(MAIN) to Stuttgart Hbf with stopovers in Sinsheim Museum/Arena and Eppingen" will be possible.

> Keen to jump on the cheap fares as quickly as possible!

Not that urgent in this case. You can still get this trip next week for EUR 19. The specials for the IC trains Frankfurt to Heidelberg won't sell fast.

> Would I be best served buying my ticket to Sinsheim Museum/Arena (or even Heidelberg) then getting a Baden-Württemberg regional ticket to cover the local trains to Stuttgart?

Surely not if you can get the whole trip for EUR 19.

6. Re: Europa-Spezial ticket with S-Bahn connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2015, 10:18