We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuttgart to Fuessen

Atlanta
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Stuttgart to Fuessen

Our much anticipated trip is just a few days away, and I'm trying to settle some details. We land in Stuttgart Thursday morning and will drive to Hohenschwangau to spend the night. I was originally going to take a more leisurely route, but am thinking now to just take the Autobahn through Ulm. We have just a few days in Bavaria, so I want to use our time as efficiently as possible. We will try to see Neuschwanstein that afternoon. My question: In addition to the church in Ulm that is recommended, is there anything along the way that would be worth a brief stop? We're going to be seeing many castles and churches during our two weeks, so I wouldn't mind something a little different. Thanks so much!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,557 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuttgart to Fuessen

For a more leisurely route have a look at what I wrote near the bottom of #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 that mentions Hwy 312. That's my favorite drive in Germany, very scenic with a wide variety of lots to see and do along the way. By the way, the sights in Bavaria are no better than the sights in Baden-Wuerttemberg which has more listed historic buildings, just more crowded with tourists.

The Stuttgart Airpiort is very close to our favorite town in Germany, Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) which is just quintessential Germany with its hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, castle, interesting nontourist shops, one of Germany's oldest universities, and the nextdoor delightful well-preserved Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de ), our favorite German one.

If you're driving the autobahn A8 to A7 there are many places to visit along the way. Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) isn't very far from the airport and is one of the larger places in Germany which survived WW-II with minimal damage and therefore has an excellent well-preserved medieval oldtown center. The Urweltmuseum Hauff at Holzmaden is excellent. It contains many excellent fossils from the age of dinosaurs that were quarried there. At Laichingen is the Laichingen Tiefehöhle which is basically a vertical cave. Blaubeuren has two excellent sights in this pleasant town, the former monastery church and the Blautopf, a deep blue pool which is a flooded cave mouth from which the Blau River issues. The church in Ulm with the world's tallest steeple is excellent. Heading down the A7, just off of it is Ottobeuren ( www.ottobeuren.de ) which I consider to have the best church interior in Germany at the abbey church, just jam-packed full of more beautiful Baroque religious items than can be readily comprehended.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuttgart to Fuessen

Don't try to see Neu'stein the day you arrive. If you have my luck, your plane will be late. You will also be tired, especially if you drive. Be sure to make a reservation for the castle tour.

3. Re: Stuttgart to Fuessen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 02:18
4. Re: Stuttgart to Fuessen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:15